Poll: One-third of Americans say blackface Halloween costumes are acceptable at times

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I didn't force anyone to blatantly try to change the subject when I brought up liberal comedians who wore blackface.
read the thread ? That particular reference evolved naturally from the general discussion on racism , politicians , movies , and entertainment. Otherwise , Blackface was originally considered comedy. So, I'm not sure how you figure modern day episodes of comedians doing it is changing the subject ?

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
LOL... you said you didn’t read it!
Now you’re pretending you read it and there’s no statistical evidence in the three sources- when there’s plenty!

Wow, you make a rather poor liar.
Maybe it’s tough to read with all the egg on your face?
Where did I say that I didn't read it?
I actually quoted one of the links.
Again, they're partisan opinion pieces.
It must be tough on you TrumpCult® apologists, trying to fact check bullshit.

There there now...

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
read the thread ? That particular reference evolved naturally from the general discussion on racism , politicians , movies , and entertainment. Otherwise , Blackface was originally considered comedy. So, I'm not sure how you figure modern day episodes of comedians doing it is changing the subject ?
You think Amos and Andy would fly today?

Nov 2015
UK
More than one-third of American adults believe that it's always or sometimes acceptable to wear blackface for a Halloween costume, according to a new Pew Research Poll. Thirty-four percent of all Americans believe that it's always or sometimes acceptable for a white person to darken their face to pretend to be a different race for a Halloween costume, according to the poll. However, the majority of Americans — 53 percent — believe that it is rarely or never acceptable to wear blackface.

Blackface began in the 19th century for theater shows, and continued into modern day on some television shows. The racist act often mocked black people and has created a lasting, negative portrayal that continues today. White adults are twice as likely to think it's acceptable to use blackface than black adults, with 39 percent versus 18 percent responding that it's OK. Among Hispanic adults, 29 percent think it's always or sometimes acceptable to wear blackface

When the poll is broken down along the two major party lines, half of Republicans believe that wearing blackface for a costume is always or sometimes acceptable. By comparison, 21 percent of Democrats believe it's acceptable.

Poll: One-third of Americans say blackface Halloween costumes are acceptable at times

Just wow is all I can say...and how much this disturbs me.
Is it acceptable for black people to colour their face white?