Pope Francis' favorability rate plummets

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
After new sexual abuse allegations against Catholic priests and criticism of Pope Francis' leadership on the issue, his favorability in the US has dropped substantially in a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS.

Only half of Americans -- 48% -- say they have a favorable view of the Pope, down from two-thirds who said the same in January 2017 and 72% who said so in December 2013, a few months after he was first elevated to the position. Specifically among US Catholics, his ratings have fallen from 83% favorability a year and a half ago to 63% now -- a 20-point drop.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/12/politics/pope-francis-poll/index.html

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Maybe it's just me, but seeing as he's the pope, couldn't he just say "I'm changing the rules to treat sexual assault victims with the same care as if they were the baby Jesus."

He's an absolute authority, I don't see why he acts like this is some bureaucracy he can't control. Take the reports seriously and get any priest who is accused away from the kids.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Catholicism will survive this, but I don't really think the church will. Not in any recognizable form.

It's about time.

Dec 2014
Brisbane, Qld. Australia
It's the same in Australia. Simply too many sex scandals and there was the disgusting 'calling to Rome' of Archbishop Pell when he was about to face charges. The Catholic Church demonstrated conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in this matter ~ it can't be proven, but it is definitely not a good look.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
It's the same in Australia. Simply too many sex scandals and there was the disgusting 'calling to Rome' of Archbishop Pell when he was about to face charges. The Catholic Church demonstrated conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in this matter ~ it can't be proven, but it is definitely not a good look.
My parents went to Rome recently. They didn't step foot in Vatican City, and until this is fully aired out, nobody should.

Doesn't matter how we got here. They've lost all credibility. There's nothing sacred about them.

They are a bunch of old, creepy men who have to be dug out of their gilded holes before any further talk of God's work can be done.