Pope Francis says no gluten free bread for communion

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The expanding market for wine and bread used as part of Catholic masses prompted Pope Francis to remind priests and bishops across the world that gluten-free bread is a no-go when it comes to communion.

The pope issued a letter in mid-June saying all bread used during communion must have at least some gluten, a naturally occurring protein in wheat, which is common in breads, pastas, cakes and cereals.

"Hosts that are completely gluten-free are invalid matter for the celebration of the Eucharist," wrote Cardinal Robert Sarah on behalf of the pope. Low-gluten hosts, he added, can be used, "provided they contain a sufficient amount of gluten to obtain the confection of bread without the addition of foreign materials and without the use of procedures that would alter the nature of bread."

Church rules dictate bread used for communion must be recently made, be unleavened and made purely of wheat. Any other additions — including fruit, sugar or honey — make the bread unusable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-bread-no-go-when-comes-communion/467305001/

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Is this the same Catholic Church that officially declared that beavers qualified as "fish" for Lent purposes? If so, they need to bone up their rationalizing skills.

Source

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
So then Christ can't be received by celiac?

Holy cow, what does that mean for them, what's it say about God, 1st official fuckup?

May 2006
Celiac isn't a mistake. It's God's way of marking Satan's Spawn on this earth. Allowing them to eat from yon heavenly gluten doth defile and render unholy the Holy magical bread.

Sometimes, if I forget myself, I'm overwhelmed with shock that ANYBODY LISTENS TO THESE CHARLATANS.

Honestly, what an absolute crock of shit.

What happened, did the gluten free bread company not send a big enough check to the Vatican or something?

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
If they allowed gluten free bread, that would imply that Jesus didn't have any protein in him, thus an alien. That just don't cut it.