Pope says Mother Teresa to be made a saint on Sept. 4

Nov 2008
Washington state
In this Aug. 25, 1993 file photo Mother Teresa, head of Missionaries of Charity, is photographed, in New Delhi, India. (AP)

VATICAN CITY – Mother Teresa will be made a saint on Sept. 4.
Pope Francis set the canonization date Tuesday, paving the way for the nun who cared for the poorest of the poor to become the centerpiece of his yearlong focus on the Catholic Church's merciful side.
The announcement was expected after Francis in December approved a second miracle attributed to Mother Teresa's intercession — the final hurdle to make her a saint. The actual date falls on the eve of the 19th anniversary of her death.
In Kolkata, the eastern Indian city where Mother Teresa spent decades caring for the sick and homeless, there were joyous celebrations at a school and orphanage founded by her in 1949.
The Vatican ceremony will draw tens of thousands to honor the tiny, stooped nun who was fast-tracked for sainthood just a year after she died in 1997. St. John Paul II, who was Mother Teresa's greatest champion, beatified her before a crowd of 300,000 in St. Peter's Square in 2003.
Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with Kolkata's destitute and ill — work which continued even after she herself became sick. She died on Sept. 5, 1997, at age 87. At the time, her Missionaries of Charity order had nearly 4,000 nuns and ran roughly 600 orphanages, soup kitchens, homeless shelters and clinics.
"She built an empire of charity," said the Rev. Bernardo Cervellera, editor of the Vatican-affiliated missionary news agency AsiaNews. "She didn't have a plan to conquer the world. Her idea was to be obedient to God."http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/15/pope-says-mother-teresa-to-be-made-saint-on-sept-4.html
Francis officially cleared Mother Teresa for sainthood on Dec. 17, 2015, recognizing her "miraculous healing" of a Brazilian man with multiple brain abscesses, the Vatican said.http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/03/14/mother-teresa-canonization-vatican/81779554/
Mother Theresa worked tirelessly to care for the poor for many years. She surely deserves to be a saint. Congrats to Pope Francis for making this happen.

Nov 2008
Washington state
there is not many that would give up their comfortable lives to feed and take care of the poorest of the poor. She willingly did this almost 50 years. Makes my little contributions seem like nothing. She was a good example for others to follow.

Dec 2015
VA
I'm sure you're quite jealous.
Nope. I feel no need to pray to a man-made saint. Jesus died on the cross for me, I can pray to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit without the need of man-made saints. Thanks for caring.

May Mother Theresa bless you and open the doors to heaven for you.

Dec 2015
VA
there is not many that would give up their comfortable lives to feed and take care of the poorest of the poor. She willingly did this almost 50 years. Makes my little contributions seem like nothing. She was a good example for others to follow.
She was a very impressive human...not a deity.

Nov 2008
Washington state
She was a very impressive human...not a deity.
She healed people twice. That is part of the qualifications for a saint according to Catholic doctrine. They are not calling her a deity, just a saint. I don't agree with all Catholic doctrine, but I recognize Theresa's works for the poor. We need more people like this in the world. She showed Christ love thru her good works

Dec 2015
VA
She healed people twice. That is part of the qualifications for a saint according to Catholic doctrine. They are not calling her a deity, just a saint. I don't agree with all Catholic doctrine, but I recognize Theresa's works for the poor. We need more people like this in the world. She showed Christ love thru her good works
She was a wonderful and inspirational woman. I will never accomplish a tenth of what she accomplished. Nonetheless, she is just a human to be admired...not a Saint to be worshipped. I am not trying to be offensive and am in no way trying to disparage what this wonderful woman accomplished. She was certainly a blessing to the world