PORP - The Party of Reason and Progress

Dec 2006
required field
It's Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle company that recently came under fire for dubious health care claims for its products. PORP, like GOOP, seems a bit pretentious. In any case, the web sites seems to simply echo the progressive wing of the Democratic Party. Nothing particularly innovative but I'll take a deeper look.
I think it's silly, but that's never been something that's prevented me from liking something before. I fucking love the absurdity of the porpoise as a mascot. But then I thought about it a little bit, and it appeals to me on even more levels. Cetaceans are extremely intelligent, and one of my favorite books growing up was about intelligent dolphins piloting spaceships.

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this other than I think the two party system as it exists is broken, and I like the idea of third parties as agents of change even if it's only by forcing the other parties to address issues they'd rather not have to stake out positions on.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
I don't understand what you mean.
First past the post is the method of electing people where the candidate with the plurality of votes wins.

Alternatives are some variation of either preferential voting where you rank canditates as 1st choice, 2nd, and so on. Then there are different ways to calculate wins.

Or proportional representation, where some means is used to give each party the number of representatives in approximately the same proportion as they got of the popular vote.

Neither of the alternatives are needed in a two party system.

Dec 2006
required field
My concern with GMOs is that they are leading to corporate monopolies controlling our food supply. It seems absurd that if a wind blows GMO seeds onto your property, you would have to pay royalties on any resulting crops.
That is a perfectly valid reason to be concerned about GMO's. There are some (usually on the left) who talk about them like you're going to grow a third arm if you eat them (personally, I can see how that would be a selling point for them what with the internet and all).

Dec 2006
required field
First past the post is the method of electing people where the candidate with the plurality of votes wins.

Alternatives are some variation of either preferential voting where you rank canditates as 1st choice, 2nd, and so on. Then there are different ways to calculate wins.

Or proportional representation, where some means is used to give each party the number of representatives in approximately the same proportion as they got of the popular vote.

Neither of the alternatives are needed in a two party system.
Thank you for the clarification, I didn't get that it was an idiom, lol

It sounds more to me like neither of the alternatives are desirable to those most empowered by the two party system.

Dec 2006
required field
How about ranked choice for senate, and actual proportional representation in the house?

I know, I know, it would require a complete reworking of how we do things.

But that's going to happen sooner or later anyway (probably sooner), so we might as well try to steer it the way we want it to go now instead of fighting against the current.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Thank you for the clarification, I didn't get that it was an idiom, lol

It sounds more to me like neither of the alternatives are desirable to those most empowered by the two party system.
That is one of many problems surrounding this and related topics. Even the establishment of a third party is fought by both established parties as was shown when they got the Libertarian candidate barred from the debates a few elections ago when Johnson I believe it was was showing some popularity.

And "first past the post" isn't idiom, it is the only name I know of for that system.

Dec 2006
required field
That is one of many problems surrounding this and related topics. Even the establishment of a third party is fought by both established parties as was shown when they got the Libertarian candidate barred from the debates a few elections ago when Johnson I believe it was was showing some popularity.

And "first past the post" isn't idiom, it is the only name I know of for that system.
Unless they win elections over there by literally running around a horse track, it's probably an idiom.