Prepare for Mueller’s long shadow

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Robert Mueller’s report may be just days away from release, but a pair of high-profile new cases surfacing in the past 24 hours signals that the arm of his Russia investigation is long indeed. The latest developments: charges unsealed in Virginia against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and the indictment of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig.

Though seemingly unrelated, the two cases, legal experts say, showcase how threads from the Mueller probe could continue to yield new evidence and even more charges for months, if not years, to come — tied to everything from Russian interference in the 2016 election to the hush-money payment scheme Donald Trump’s campaign designed to help sway the last White House race, from the fundraising for Trump’s 2017 inauguration to unregistered foreign lobbyists working in the U.S.

The Mueller report was just the first step,” said Gene Rossi, a former federal prosecutor from Virginia. “What these recent events show me is that Robert Mueller has created an army of acolytes and those soldiers are now embedded in the Justice Department, Eastern District of Virginia, Southern District of New York and Washington D.C. These acolytes are trained, they’re hungry and they’re determined.” At DOJ, Attorney General William Barr has come under fire from Democrats for releasing top-line findings tied to Mueller’s work that Trump has used to claim“total EXONERATION” even though the special counsel’s report said no such thing.

In the Assange case, British police on Thursday arrested the WikiLeaks founder at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London — a move made in response to a U.S. extradition request on charges of attempting to hack into classified material on U.S. government computers in 2010. The U.S. indictment was obtained by federal prosecutors in Alexandria, Va., in March 2018 and does not appear to have a direct connection to WikiLeaks’ role in publishing hacked Democratic emails central to the mandate of Mueller’s investigators. But Assange’s delivery into the hands of the British authorities and in turn over to the U.S. “will reopen the Russian collusion affair,” said Philip Lacovara, a former counsel for the Watergate prosecution team.

Yep, this is FAR from over.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry, but in the past the shame factor was enough to at least keep politicians in check (Iran Contra/Lewinski) and now, just because he wasn't arrested in the oval office and dragged off to jail, Trump has declared victory and that seems to be that.

I don't know why Dems can't just focus on being a better party instead of trying to "defeat" Trump. Quit pandering on reparations, playing footsie with Pelosi on the impeachment issue and just focus on telling Americans what we can do if we get seats. Sell a truly universal health care program, tell everyone to imagine going into the doctor or hospital, flashing a card and never having to worry about the bill being more than your house is worth. Talk about stopping unnecessary wars/intervention (like Venezuela) talk about infrastructure and assuring the people that the "opiate crisis" won't deny people pain meds (having just seen my doctor and having him admit to me that the state only allows so much to be prescribed before they start monitoring and that's why I had to wait till my pain level went down to meet the effectiveness of the meds instead of the other way around I can attest that doctors are self regulating and no new rules need be enacted) and decriminalize addiction.

Talk about the debt and the interest on the debt, and putting a cap on how much more taxes the middle class will have to endure under the current system where the little people pay so Bezos doesn't have to. Talk about new discoveries in green energy and how much cheaper it is to develop these alternatives instead of paying for the health effects, disasters like explosions, fires and floods, hurricanes and all the rest of it caused by fossil fuels.

Repeat over and over how the Trump Organization is capitalizing on the presidency. Talk about immigration reform instead of "children in cages", talk about Herman Cain being on the verge of an appointment to the Fed. Talk about a woman's right to choose being taken away. Talk about how the tariffs aren't paid by China but by American consumers.

By the time the Mueller report is released and acted on by whoever isn't afraid to do so Trump will long out of office. I think letting him crow and declare victory and swear revenge isn't going to win himself a lot of votes so let him. Let his character speak for itself and quit having panels on every cable news show to react to his every inane comment.

I'm so done giving a shit about this rabbit hole of the Russia investigation, IMO it won't take him down anytime soon.

Mar 2019
California
I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry, but in the past the shame factor was enough to at least keep politicians in check (Iran Contra/Lewinski) and now, just because he wasn't arrested in the oval office and dragged off to jail, Trump has declared victory and that seems to be that.

I don't know why Dems can't just focus on being a better party instead of trying to "defeat" Trump. Quit pandering on reparations, playing footsie with Pelosi on the impeachment issue and just focus on telling Americans what we can do if we get seats. Sell a truly universal health care program, tell everyone to imagine going into the doctor or hospital, flashing a card and never having to worry about the bill being more than your house is worth. Talk about stopping unnecessary wars/intervention (like Venezuela) talk about infrastructure and assuring the people that the "opiate crisis" won't deny people pain meds (having just seen my doctor and having him admit to me that the state only allows so much to be prescribed before they start monitoring and that's why I had to wait till my pain level went down to meet the effectiveness of the meds instead of the other way around I can attest that doctors are self regulating and no new rules need be enacted) and decriminalize addiction.

Talk about the debt and the interest on the debt, and putting a cap on how much more taxes the middle class will have to endure under the current system where the little people pay so Bezos doesn't have to. Talk about new discoveries in green energy and how much cheaper it is to develop these alternatives instead of paying for the health effects, disasters like explosions, fires and floods, hurricanes and all the rest of it caused by fossil fuels.

Repeat over and over how the Trump Organization is capitalizing on the presidency. Talk about immigration reform instead of "children in cages", talk about Herman Cain being on the verge of an appointment to the Fed. Talk about a woman's right to choose being taken away. Talk about how the tariffs aren't paid by China but by American consumers.

By the time the Mueller report is released and acted on by whoever isn't afraid to do so Trump will long out of office. I think letting him crow and declare victory and swear revenge isn't going to win himself a lot of votes so let him. Let his character speak for itself and quit having panels on every cable news show to react to his every inane comment.

I'm so done giving a shit about this rabbit hole of the Russia investigation, IMO it won't take him down anytime soon.
Did ya read the TAX cut details? It cut tax for ALL. On a percentage basis. Since the rich PAY so much more, they got a bigger MONETARY cut. But the PERCENTAGE was the same. But you are right about this Mueller nonsense. BOTH sides should stop the nonsense and COMPROMISE. Clinton did it with the Repub Congress. Reagan did it with the DEM Congress. "Getting Trump" won't win any elections. Passing a few Bi-Partisan Bills just might. Agreed?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

Nobody is talking about impeachment at this time.

And the D's on the campaign trail are NOT talking about the Russian investigation, they are talking about the bread and butter issues you are talking about.

But a lot of people do care if the current POTUS has broken multiple laws.

Sorry if you have "fatigue" but many of us do not.

Where the investigation ends up - who knows at this point

But it's important that it go on until the end.

May 2007
your place
It probably has something to do with not being an organized political party.

I never cared for Newt Gingrich but his “Contract with America” was a good way of listing what republicans were offering.

The Democrats are missing the boat by focusing on attacking Trump instead of trying to convey what they stand for. The people that like Trump are going to keep liking him no matter what Democrats say about him. We don’t need any reports or tax returns to know what kind of guy Trump is.

Mar 2019
California
I never cared for Newt Gingrich but his “Contract with America” was a good way of listing what republicans were offering.

The Democrats are missing the boat by focusing on attacking Trump instead of trying to convey what they stand for. The people that like Trump are going to keep liking him no matter what Democrats say about him. We don’t need any reports or tax returns to know what kind of guy Trump is.
Maybe they forgot that politics is usually guided by MAJORITY rule. This PC crap is just pandering to fringe groups. The Dems usta be for Blue Collar workers ,Unions ,and Farmers. NOW they are for University crackpots, Hollywood hotshots , and LIBS on Wall Street. I do believe the vast MAJORITY care more about whether their families get ahead than "Global Warming".

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

You mean you don't want the people in Congress to actually do their job?

I think you are getting confused between Congress and the actual D nominees that are running. Again, they are talking about healthcare, living wages, climate change,, college cost, etc.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Robert Mueller’s report may be just days away from release, but a pair of high-profile new cases surfacing in the past 24 hours signals that the arm of his Russia investigation is long indeed. The latest developments: charges unsealed in Virginia against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and the indictment of former Obama White House counsel Greg Craig.

Though seemingly unrelated, the two cases, legal experts say, showcase how threads from the Mueller probe could continue to yield new evidence and even more charges for months, if not years, to come — tied to everything from Russian interference in the 2016 election to the hush-money payment scheme Donald Trump’s campaign designed to help sway the last White House race, from the fundraising for Trump’s 2017 inauguration to unregistered foreign lobbyists working in the U.S.

The Mueller report was just the first step,” said Gene Rossi, a former federal prosecutor from Virginia. “What these recent events show me is that Robert Mueller has created an army of acolytes and those soldiers are now embedded in the Justice Department, Eastern District of Virginia, Southern District of New York and Washington D.C. These acolytes are trained, they’re hungry and they’re determined.” At DOJ, Attorney General William Barr has come under fire from Democrats for releasing top-line findings tied to Mueller’s work that Trump has used to claim“total EXONERATION” even though the special counsel’s report said no such thing.

In the Assange case, British police on Thursday arrested the WikiLeaks founder at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London — a move made in response to a U.S. extradition request on charges of attempting to hack into classified material on U.S. government computers in 2010. The U.S. indictment was obtained by federal prosecutors in Alexandria, Va., in March 2018 and does not appear to have a direct connection to WikiLeaks’ role in publishing hacked Democratic emails central to the mandate of Mueller’s investigators. But Assange’s delivery into the hands of the British authorities and in turn over to the U.S. “will reopen the Russian collusion affair,” said Philip Lacovara, a former counsel for the Watergate prosecution team.

Yep, this is FAR from over.
I've got a problem with so-called legal "experts" , like Gene Rossi , commenting on Mueller in the manner he's doing. He's casting Mueller as some sort of scheming menace to Trump with his own "acolytes" that he's sent out on a missions to take down Trump. The fact of the matter is Mueller simply referred matters to other prosecutors offices because they were beyond the scope of his mandate. By all accounts Mueller is a "by the book" sort of guy. Mr. Rossi has him practically sitting in his office twisting his mustache like "Dick Dastardly" plotting against Trump. He doesn't even have a mustache.

It's true that Mueller has indeed left a paper trail for other prosecutors to follow. But, it was done within the legitimate confines of his purview as the special counsel. The prosecutors' offices taking up the criminal process ,in any case, are not Mueller's "acolytes". They're the nations most qualified career professionals with no particular score to settle or bias against Trump. Rossi is peddling just the sort of narrative that feeds into Trump's "deep state" conspiracy theories. And I really wish MSNBC would knock it off.