Preparing for the Mueller report

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
This NPR piece explains in detail why there will be redaction after redaction in the released report.

It also points to areas of interest for anyone who wants to peel back the Barr talking points / summaries.

Robert Mueller's Russia Report Is Coming Soon. Here's What You Need To Know

Barr told members of Congress that he has been working with the special counsel's office to redact four kinds of information.

First, grand jury material, which is secret under the law. Second, foreign intelligence that could compromise the sources and methods from which it originated, which American spies want to protect.

Third, Barr said he would redact information about ongoing cases or investigations — those taking place elsewhere in the Justice Department now that the special counsel's work is complete.

And fourth, Barr told Congress, is "information that implicates the privacy or reputational interests of peripheral third parties who were not charged." The Justice Department should not reveal derogatory information about people whom it isn't accusing of breaking the law, he said.

Who is covered under that exception?

"People in private life," the attorney general told senators. "Not public officeholders"
Also, on the subject of spying.....

Didn't the government conduct "spying"?

Yes and no. The dispute is over that term.

The FBI and Justice Department conducted surveillance of Trump's campaign in 2016 as they investigated the election interference. What Republicans have charged since is that some officials may have abused their powers and violated the rights of at least one American.

Law enforcement officials have denied that and defended their practices

Apr 2010
Oregon
Can you imagine that if there was a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Hillary and then her hand picked AG wouldn’t even let congress see the full report? Imagine if her AG had briefed the White House about the contents before congress or the public had even seen a redacted version. M There would be republicans in the streets and you know it.

Barr could request to have grand jury information released. He hasn’t.. He could minimize the redactions to what is truly sources and methods. He won’t. He is also straight up pulling a fourth category out of his ass to redact. “Peripheral third parties” could mean anything he wants them to.

Barr is a political appointee who is doing exactly what he was appointed to do, burry as much of the report as he possibly can.

If Trump and co were truly exonerated, the conservatives would want the full report released. The fact they don’t speaks volumes.

Oh and the surveillance claim isn’t actually true, assuming they are referring to the FISA warrant. Carter Page was no longer a member of the Trump campaign when the FISA warrant was granted.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
Specifically, what did I post that was a lie?
Implying Barr has briefed the WH on the report.

Implying Barr wants to hide/cover up something.

Implying all Barr has to do is ask and GJ testimony would be released.

The inability to acknowledge Meuller and his team are working with Barr to release the report with the appropriate redactions.

The overall tone of your post.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Specifically, what did I post that was a lie?
He doesn't know. All he knows is what Fox News tells him.

I am becoming concerned that the Democrats are being so docile. They talk a lot but I don't see anything tangible being done to preserve our great experiment. As Pelosi said, our foundations are strong enough to withstand one term of Trump, but not two. She seems to be counting on a Democrat beating him in the next election. I truly hope to God the Democrats are no seriously counting on that while they do little to stop the fact that all of the grown ups are gone from Trump's administration and he's replaced everyone with sycophants and toadies and corporate stooges. He's offering to pardon people who break the law for him. We are coming dangerously close to a tipping point. Or maybe we've already passed that since Congress is not reining him in.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the future of this country. I read people all day long online, many of whom are friends of mine and who I thought were fairly intelligent people, cheering Trump on to do things that are anathema to what this country is founded on and has stood for for a couple of hundred years. We may not have always been successful at living up to those ideals, but we always strived for them. Now, it's the opposite for too many. They want to chuck the constitution in order to preserve what they perceive as some golden era when white Christians were dominant in the culture and in the law and called the shots.

I watch us regressing day after day with laws that have the effect of outlawing abortion. The administration scrapped an equal pay initiative that was to go into effect. I see my friends cheer on a tax law that is highly regressive and will hurt them and the country as a whole ultimately. It caused the debt to skyrocket and the response from Republicans is to cut entitlements. Trump promised no cuts to SS or Medicare and that is exactly what he is now proposing and his supporters just sit there and nod their heads in agreement. Our trade deficit is the highest ever in history and his supporters insist that he knows what he's doing and it will be good eventually. Human rights violations are the norm at our southern border. Domestic terrorism is rising and Trump gets rid of the task force that was dealing with it and the DOJ is basically ignoring the issue.

Suffice it to say that I am feeling very pessimistic about the future of this nation. We made so much progress all throughout my life, until now. Yeah, yeah I know, the country has survived some awful moments and will continue to survive. Until it doesn't. Nothing lasts forever and too many Americans are ill-informed and uninformed.

Nov 2015
UK
Can you imagine that if there was a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Hillary and then her hand picked AG wouldn’t even let congress see the full report? Imagine if her AG had briefed the White House about the contents before congress or the public had even seen a redacted version. M There would be republicans in the streets and you know it.

Barr could request to have grand jury information released. He hasn’t.. He could minimize the redactions to what is truly sources and methods. He won’t. He is also straight up pulling a fourth category out of his ass to redact. “Peripheral third parties” could mean anything he wants them to.

Barr is a political appointee who is doing exactly what he was appointed to do, burry as much of the report as he possibly can.

If Trump and co were truly exonerated, the conservatives would want the full report released. The fact they don’t speaks volumes.

Oh and the surveillance claim isn’t actually true, assuming they are referring to the FISA warrant. Carter Page was no longer a member of the Trump campaign when the FISA warrant was granted.
I've read the OP so if they have to redact the grand jury material that is secret under law, then what do you mean by, "Barr could request to have grand jury information released". ?

What do you mean by, "He could minimize the redactions to what is truly sources and methods"? It's either a source and/or method or it isn't. Your logic stumped me on that one.

The fourth reason is important, to a Brit it is because we're much more responsible with slander, libel and defamation of character. You will find that alien.

Not really sure what to make of your post other than it was rather puzzling.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
The link about grand jury testimony from the NPR piece.

Rule 6. The Grand Jury

A person to whom information is disclosed under Rule 6(e)(3)(A)(ii) may use that information only to assist an attorney for the government in performing that attorney's duty to enforce federal criminal law. An attorney for the government must promptly provide the court that impaneled the grand jury with the names of all persons to whom a disclosure has been made, and must certify that the attorney has advised those persons of their obligation of secrecy under this rule.