Pres Obama: Progressives risk creating a circular firing squad

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Former president Barack Obama touched on growing divisions within his own party, warning against pushes for ideological purity that can result in a “circular firing squad” in a town hall organized by The Obama Foundation in Berlin on Saturday.

While taking audience questions about the frustration that comes with lack of change, Obama expressed concern about a lack of compromise in Washington, and said he specifically worries progressive politicians could be alienating potential allies. “One of the things I do worry about sometimes among progressives in the United States — maybe it’s true here as well — is a certain kind of rigidity where we say, ‘Oh, I’m sorry, this is how it’s going to be,’” Obama said. “And then we start sometimes creating what’s called a ‘circular firing squad’ where you start shooting at your allies because one of them is straying from purity on the issues.”

The former president said he believes this approach “weakens” movements, and that those that would like to see a progressive agenda “have to recognize that the way we’ve structured democracy requires you to take into account people who don’t agree with you.”

Obama ended his speech by advocating for patience and incremental change: “We have to be careful in balancing big dreams and bold ideas with also recognizing that typically change happens in steps. And if you want to skip steps, you can. Historically what’s ended up happening is sometimes if you skip too many steps you end up having bad outcomes.”

Barack Obama warns against a "circular firing squad" over ideological purity in politics

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Obama is smart enough to agree with me. The democrat party is consuming itself. They are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But what we are seeing is the culmination of the PC philosophy which is intolerant in the name of tolerance and suddenly you need to virtue signal in order to remain in good graces with the more progressive in the party.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
DSA v. The Dinosaurs

Who is going to win?

No one.

This internal battle will cause the Party to implode after it's massive loss in 2020.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Obama is smart enough to agree with me. The democrat party is consuming itself. They are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But what we are seeing is the culmination of the PC philosophy which is intolerant in the name of tolerance and suddenly you need to virtue signal in order to remain in good graces with the more progressive in the party.
I think there also is a feeling out there that some dont want any moderation or right leaning people in their party as well. There were a few pro life dems running last year and they were attacked by others in the party. Or for their views on other issues. Joe Manchin is frequently a point of attack.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I think there also is a feeling out there that some dont want any moderation or right leaning people in their party as well. There were a few pro life dems running last year and they were attacked by others in the party. Or for their views on other issues. Joe Manchin is frequently a point of attack.

litmus test. It will consume them. the first major example of this was trump being elected. by hillary stealing the nomination from bernie and abandoning the white working class they lost.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
litmus test. It will consume them. the first major example of this was trump being elected. by hillary stealing the nomination from bernie and abandoning the white working class they lost.
And, they will lose again in 2020.

And, they know this as evidenced by them continuing the attempted Coup against the President of the US.

Jul 2014
midwest
Obama is telling the truth.

Question is: Will the Dems pay attention?

Several of their candidates seem to be in a race to see who can take the most extreme position, or say the most outrageous things.

They need a moderate candidate who won't shoot him/herself in the foot like Biden is doing...

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Obama is telling the truth.

Question is: Will the Dems pay attention?

Several of their candidates seem to be in a race to see who can take the most extreme position, or say the most outrageous things.

They need a moderate candidate who won't shoot him/herself in the foot like Biden is doing...
There are several moderates in the running right now, and maybe a couple more going to announce.

Can A ‘Moderate’ Win The 2020 Democratic Primary?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Whether it's "you're not a true progressive" or purging candidates as RINOs when they don't fall in line, partisan diehards often fail to recognize the damage they do to themselves and the things they support when they go out of their way to make their tents smaller.