President Oval Office speech: January 8th, 2019

Fact Checking Trump's speech. How accurate will it be?

• 100% correct

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75% correct

• 50% correct

• 25% correct

• 100% pure New York bovine excrement

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Tonight President Trump will give a speech tonight from the Oval Office in a prime time speech at 9PM Eastern. How accurate will his speech be?

Given his track record, my guess is that it will be laced with half-truths and completely erroneous statements, if not outright lies. It's difficult for me to know if Trump knows he's lying or if he's just so delusional that he actually believes the things coming out of his mouth.

This thread can be used to discuss his speech too; either live or after the fact.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I am anxious to see who will do the Democratic rebuttal...Adam Schiff is one of our best speakers..
Who ever it is, I hope they have their facts straight.

Some are debating whether or not networks should do live fact checking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ve-immigration-speech/?utm_term=.14028040e115
...“The challenge that the media faces is you don’t want to give a platform to somebody who is known to lie a lot, but at the same time, this is still the president of the United States, who has a lot of power and continues to use that power,” Ananny said in an interview with The Post. “The challenge the press has is to call the president out for what I expect will be the lies he will tell, because he tells them all the time, and to call them out in real time.”

The networks could hold Trump accountable using a number of measures, such as insisting on an advance copy of the speech or instituting a delay to make time for on-the-spot fact-checking, Ananny said, rather than just giving Trump a pass in wall-to-wall coverage.

It wasn’t clear Monday which, if any, of those options were on the table. At the end of November, CNN made an attempt to fact-check a White House press briefing in real time by placing a “Facts First” box on-screen as press secretary Sarah Sanders spoke. The network didn’t immediately respond to a query about whether it would employ a similar strategy on Tuesday.

The dilemma is especially acute as the news media suffers from dwindling public confidence, a trend affecting many major American institutions. On the left, the dissatisfaction is driven in large part by the way the industry dealt with Trump’s provocative entrance on the political scene more than three years ago — and the perception that outlets have continued to give him too much oxygen

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I am anxious to see who will do the Democratic rebuttal...Adam Schiff is one of our best speakers..
Are they doing a rebuttal? I had read last night they were not. Saw the head of the major networks dont want to interrupt their programming lineup for very long. I read Trump said it would only be 8 minutes.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Are they doing a rebuttal? I had read last night they were not. Saw the head of the major networks dont want to interrupt their programming lineup for very long. I read Trump said it would only be 8 minutes.
I hope they do. It'd be a big mistake to let the opportunity pass, especially if all Trump does is blame everyone but himself for the governemnt shutdown.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the minority leader, will jointly deliver a response to President Trump’s prime time address declaring a crisis at the southwestern border, they announced on Tuesday.

Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Schumer will speak from the Capitol after Mr. Trump completes his remarks from the Oval Office, which are scheduled to be broadcast live by the major television networks. The dueling addresses from opposite sides of Pennsylvania Avenue will unfold at the close of Day 18 of a government shutdown over Mr. Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion for a border wall that Democrats have steadfastly opposed.

Schumer and Pelosi Tap Themselves to Respond to Trump Speech

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Well that was disappointing. The Teleprompter President stuck to his script, made a few good points, but it was mostly the same old Trump bullshit: He dodged personal accountability (remember when that was a Republican thing?) and blamed the Democrats.

Nov 2010
Well that was disappointing. The Teleprompter President stuck to his script, made a few good points, but it was mostly the same old Trump bullshit: He dodged personal accountability (remember when that was a Republican thing?) and blamed the Democrats.
Exactly what everybody knew the dipshit would say