President Trump announces plan to enforce a ‘Clinton-era law’ related to immigration

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
If people are not American Citizens, should they be able to benefit from American social programs?
If you came up here to ol' Canuckland, do you think we'd let you use our healthcare system? Or make a welfare claim?
Even if you were here on a work permit. Wouldn't you have your own health insurance?
My mother-in-law visits us constantly from Europe. She has to have her own health insurance...
So you want to rewrite the Statue of Liberty verse too?

Jan 2014
California
well, you don't know the difference between a natural born citizen and a Native American. that means you - or your ancestors - are immigrants. you are a citizens thanks to the 14th amendment to the constitution.
Mr. bonehead,

again, how is that in any way relevant to this discussion about deadbeats coming here to suck off the system?

Jan 2014
south
If people are not American Citizens, should they be able to benefit from American social programs?
If you came up here to ol' Canuckland, do you think we'd let you use our healthcare system? Or make a welfare claim?
Even if you were here on a work permit. Wouldn't you have your own health insurance?
My mother-in-law visits us constantly from Europe. She has to have her own health insurance...
okay, let's see if I can explain. if you are here legally to work, you are subject to the same taxes as American citizens are - as well as enjoy the same deductions for your taxes. you do not qualify for benefits from SSA or Medicaid until and unless you become a citizen. this amounts to 8% flat tax on your wages matched by your employer. making sense yet?

Jul 2019
Toronto
So you want to rewrite the Statue of Liberty verse too?
No...New Colossus should stay. What's that got to do with social program abuse?
Don't tell me you just wanna cover all migrants and visitors with American social programs? I mean...that would be silly. Wouldn't it.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Should....should....should....is there any logic to this? Why are these people here? Presumably, they wish to be part of our great nation, they are here, why should we not allow them help if they need it? What's the benefit to NOT helping them? If a child is sick, should we just not help them or help and hold it against them later? You aren't explaining to me how this will save us money - it won't, it will only encourage people to stay on welfare. Moreover, it will prevent them from becoming citizens and paying a lot more in taxes. Another one of der fuehrer's short sighted edicts.

Jul 2019
Toronto
okay, let's see if I can explain. if you are here legally to work, you are subject to the same taxes as American citizens are - as well as enjoy the same deductions for your taxes. you do not qualify for benefits from SSA or Medicaid until and unless you become a citizen. this amounts to 8% flat tax on your wages matched by your employer. making sense yet?
Ya and???
I don't understand why this is an issue for you?

Jan 2014
south
Mr. bonehead,

Stop being obtuse and answer the question. I would have more respect for your intellect if you honestly just admit you can't.
we are all "sucking off the system" for the simple reason we all all immigrants - unless we are Native Americans. that's you, me, and everybody else. some of us pay for those programs and some do not. but we are all citizens. if you are not a citizens, you are limited to what programs you can qualify for.