Presidential Proclamation on National African American History Month, 2019

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
snip....
NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2019 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.
Presidential Proclamation on National African American History Month, 2019

can someone please explain exactly what this does?

Jul 2014
midwest
If Trump WOULD NOT HAVE proclaimed it, youse guys would have given him hell for it.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't...

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Appears to be an annual recognition thingy. Nice gesture. Not seeing any downside.

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

"America's greatness is a testament to generations of courageous individuals who, in the face of uncomfortable truths, accepted that the work of perfecting our Nation is unending and strived to expand the reach of freedom to all. For too long, our most basic liberties had been denied to African Americans, and today, we pay tribute to countless good-hearted citizens -- along the Underground Railroad, aboard a bus in Alabama, and all across our country -- who stood up and sat in to help right the wrongs of our past and extend the promise of America to all our people. During National African American History Month, we recognize these champions of justice and the sacrifices they made to bring us to this point, we honor the contributions of African Americans since our country's beginning, and we recommit to reaching for a day when no person is judged by anything but the content of their character."

Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ
But I doubt there are very few current American citizens that were born on the African continent. It is a red herring.

There are probably WAY more from other continents. Why don't THEY get honored???

Jan 2014
California

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Appears to be an annual recognition thingy. Nice gesture. Not seeing any downside.

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

"America's greatness is a testament to generations of courageous individuals who, in the face of uncomfortable truths, accepted that the work of perfecting our Nation is unending and strived to expand the reach of freedom to all. For too long, our most basic liberties had been denied to African Americans, and today, we pay tribute to countless good-hearted citizens -- along the Underground Railroad, aboard a bus in Alabama, and all across our country -- who stood up and sat in to help right the wrongs of our past and extend the promise of America to all our people. During National African American History Month, we recognize these champions of justice and the sacrifices they made to bring us to this point, we honor the contributions of African Americans since our country's beginning, and we recommit to reaching for a day when no person is judged by anything but the content of their character."

I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

what exact purpose does this serve?

Dec 2015
SoCal
Last edited: