Prestigious public high school stages walkout to protest that school is 50% white

Should this school purposely lower the numbers of it's current 50% white population?

• Total voters
Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious

"Students from one of the most selective New York City public high schools, which is half white, staged a walkout to advocate for more diversity in the city’s schools.

About 300 students at the prestigious Beacon High School walked out of class on Monday to demonstrate against the school’s stringent admissions standards, according to the New York Times. They believe that rigid screening procedures have contributed to segregation in the school system."

"During the protest, students chanted slogans such as “end Jim Crow” and “education is a right, not just for the rich and white.”

Beacon has a very selective admissions process that demands high test scores and requires students to compile a portfolio of their middle school work. Last year, the school saw more than 5,800 applications for just 360 seats."

Should this high school purposely attempt to lower the current white student numbers? Or should they keep their admissions based on current policy and merits?

Discuss.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
From the article:

Students from one of the most selective New York City public high schools, which is half white, staged a walkout to advocate for more diversity in the city’s schools.
Beacon has a very selective admissions process that demands high test scores and requires students to compile a portfolio of their middle school work. Last year, the school saw more than 5,800 applications for just 360 seats.
I've never heard of a public school with a "selective admissions process," but that seems to be the case.

However, the one piece of information missing from the article (which helps complete the picture) is that the school changed its admission process to accommodate wealthy families who wanted to enroll their own children, but couldn't because they lived in the wrong school district. Previously, preference was given to students living in Manhattan's Community School District 3 (where the school is located). After the change, it became a "screened school," allowing the children of wealthy families in other districts to enroll. As one might expect, the percentage of minority students admitted to the school dropped.

This article from 2009 explains the administrative change.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
From the article:

I've never heard of a public school with a "selective admissions process," but that seems to be the case.

However, the one piece of information missing from the article (which helps complete the picture) is that the school changed its admission process to accommodate wealthy families who wanted to enroll their own children, but couldn't because they lived in the wrong school district. Previously, preference was given to students living in Manhattan's Community School District 3 (where the school is located). After the change, it became a "screened school," allowing the children of wealthy families in other districts to enroll. As one might expect, the percentage of minority students admitted to the school dropped.

This article from 2009 explains the administrative change.

No, the school is open to anyone it's free if you get accepted. it has nothing to do with race or wealth it has to do with merit.

Furthermore:

Manhattan Demographics
White: 58.9% Non-Hispanic White: 50.7% Asian: 10.3% Black or African American: 15.5%

If the school is only 50% white, it seems the spread is within demographic realities.

Sep 2019
Idaho

"Students from one of the most selective New York City public high schools, which is half white, staged a walkout to advocate for more diversity in the city’s schools.

About 300 students at the prestigious Beacon High School walked out of class on Monday to demonstrate against the school’s stringent admissions standards, according to the New York Times. They believe that rigid screening procedures have contributed to segregation in the school system."

"During the protest, students chanted slogans such as “end Jim Crow” and “education is a right, not just for the rich and white.”

Beacon has a very selective admissions process that demands high test scores and requires students to compile a portfolio of their middle school work. Last year, the school saw more than 5,800 applications for just 360 seats."

Should this high school purposely attempt to lower the current white student numbers? Or should they keep their admissions based on current policy and merits?

Discuss.
They teach white kids to have white guilt in these public sKools so it's no big surprise.

Reactions: ripskater
Oct 2019
Earth
Wait, so, the students did a head count, realized that the school was half white and then as a group decided this was wrong, and then staged a walkout?
I don't buy that as an organic protest.

When I was in school, I remember two student led protests.

1- protesting the quality of the cafeteria options; nothing really changed

2- the smokers corner was deemed non-smoking, so, the students protested by smoking by the front entrance, the administration caved because 50 kids smoking in the front of the school was worse for appearances than hidden in the back.

I just don't think that's an issue that the kids would even be thinking about without help.

• Haha
Reactions: The Man
Sep 2019
Idaho
No, the school is open to anyone it's free if you get accepted. it has nothing to do with race or wealth it has to do with merit.

Furthermore:

Manhattan Demographics
White: 58.9% Non-Hispanic White: 50.7% Asian: 10.3% Black or African American: 15.5%

If the school is only 50% white, it seems the spread is within demographic realities.
Not good enough. White guilt dictates whites should be in the minority.

Sep 2019
Idaho
Wait, so, the students did a head count, realized that the school was half white and then as a group decided this was wrong, and then staged a walkout?
I don't buy that as an organic protest.

When I was in school, I remember two student led protests.

1- protesting the quality of the cafeteria options; nothing really changed

2- the smokers corner was deemed non-smoking, so, the students protested by smoking by the front entrance, the administration caved because 50 kids smoking in the front of the school was worse for appearances than hidden in the back.

I just don't think that's an issue that the kids would even be thinking about without help.
When I was a kid in HS there were no school protest or school shootings either. As an aside we had one black kid in our school. Nobody thought to protest that one way or the other.

Reactions: John T Ford