Prestigious public high school stages walkout to protest that school is 50% white

Should this school purposely lower the numbers of it's current 50% white population?

• Total voters

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Did i misread? I can look back but I thought you gave me student demographics....

But that said its all irrellevant...

Whi applied and who got rejected and why solves this issue, no?

if there is a pattern of rejecting minority students who qualify, then the school has explaining to do. otherwise whats the issue its a merit based school.
The issue is that the school HAD been giving most of its seats to students living within the school district. The school board was pressured by wealthy families living outside the district to switch to an admissions system that would allow their own children - many of whom had attended private schools - to secure seats that would have otherwise been given to local students within the district.

IMO, it also raises questions about property taxes, which are used to fund public schools. There are now families living OUTSIDE the district who have students attending public schools, without paying property taxes to fund the remote district in which their students are enrolled.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
The issue is that the school HAD been giving most of its seats to students living within the school district. The school board was pressured by wealthy families living outside the district to switch to an admissions system that would allow their own children - many of whom had attended private schools - to secure seats that would have otherwise been given to local students within the district.

IMO, it also raises questions about property taxes, which are used to fund public schools. There are now families living OUTSIDE the district who have students attending public schools, without paying property taxes to fund the remote district in which their students are enrolled.

There are thousands of people in the area with no kids, thousands upon thousands with no kids in public schools....

Also property taxes fund schools city wide not by district.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I recall Moscow, with it's school system insanity.

There are never enough spots in the schools over there, between the risen birth rates in recent years, thanks to all the government incentive programs; and all the people and families migrating there from other parts of the country and elsewhere in ex-USSR; parents have to wait in line, at night, often all night, to register their kids for Grade 1

Tempers often flare, and shit can easily get out of hand; this dad, for example, was beaten half to death by other enraged parents, after he allegedly tried to cut in the line, no joke

And there's ethnic segregation over there, yes, certainly; though based more on financial means than one's blood, really: the bigger bribe your parents can afford, the better school you get into; all the kids of the migrant laborers from Central Asia are funnelled into one kind of schools

along with poorer local Slav kids too.

While when you look at the pics of the more exemplary schools over there, the well equipped ones, where all the kids are issued laptops in class and such

You notice the ethnic purity right away. No ethnic minorities there, at all, period...

It is what it is... Been that way a long time there. I recall it when I went to school there, in early 2000s, too, remember my (local, Slav, daughter of wealthy lawyers) girlfriend, when I said, I wish we could go to same school, and her giggling, "They'll never let your kind into my school, silly, you know that..." I laughed along with her too, because, hell, she was right, the idea of someone like me going to the school where she went, over there, that IS funny...

Doubt it will ever change there either...

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I recall Moscow, with it's school system insanity.

There are never enough spots in the schools over there, between the risen birth rates in recent years, thanks to all the government incentive programs; and all the people and families migrating there from other parts of the country and elsewhere in ex-USSR; parents have to wait in line, at night, often all night, to register their kids for Grade 1

Tempers often flare, and shit can easily get out of hand; this dad, for example, was beaten half to death by other enraged parents, after he allegedly tried to cut in the line, no joke

And there's ethnic segregation over there, yes, certainly; though based more on financial means than one's blood, really: the bigger bribe your parents can afford, the better school you get into; all the kids of the migrant laborers from Central Asia are funnelled into one kind of schools

along with poorer local Slav kids too.

While when you look at the pics of the more exemplary schools over there, the well equipped ones, where all the kids are issued laptops in class and such

You notice the ethnic purity right away. No ethnic minorities there, at all, period...

It is what it is... Been that way a long time there. I recall it when I went to school there, in early 2000s, too, remember my (local, Slav, daughter of wealthy lawyers) girlfriend, when I said, I wish we could go to same school, and her giggling, "They'll never let your kind into my school, silly, you know that..." I laughed along with her too, because, hell, she was right, the idea of someone like me going to the school where she went, over there, that IS funny...

Doubt it will ever change there either...

The US schools look pretty good now, don't they?

Reactions: The Man
Oct 2019
Earth
When I was a kid in HS there were no school protest or school shootings either. As an aside we had one black kid in our school. Nobody thought to protest that one way or the other.
It was not long before my time, but there was a gun range in the basement of my high school. Kids would bring their rifles to target practice.

Strange how, when everyone and their dog had a gun that there weren't many mass shootings.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Nyc has 5 boroughs, you have to look at the overall demographics of the district's. This school accurately represents such demographics. To suggest that you have to look at the population of the schools and not the area of the city itself is just stupid.
It doesn't make sense to look at overall population when so little of that population is school aged children. Manhattan isn't the sort of place that attracts a lot of families. Looking at overall demographics in this case is obviously flawed.

If you have demographic info for school aged children in Manhattan, that would be superior.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more

"Students from one of the most selective New York City public high schools, which is half white, staged a walkout to advocate for more diversity in the city’s schools.

About 300 students at the prestigious Beacon High School walked out of class on Monday to demonstrate against the school’s stringent admissions standards, according to the New York Times. They believe that rigid screening procedures have contributed to segregation in the school system."

"During the protest, students chanted slogans such as “end Jim Crow” and “education is a right, not just for the rich and white.”

Beacon has a very selective admissions process that demands high test scores and requires students to compile a portfolio of their middle school work. Last year, the school saw more than 5,800 applications for just 360 seats."

Should this high school purposely attempt to lower the current white student numbers? Or should they keep their admissions based on current policy and merits?

Discuss.
this again?

Aug 2018
Vancouver
From the article:

I've never heard of a public school with a "selective admissions process," but that seems to be the case.

However, the one piece of information missing from the article (which helps complete the picture) is that the school changed its admission process to accommodate wealthy families who wanted to enroll their own children, but couldn't because they lived in the wrong school district. Previously, preference was given to students living in Manhattan's Community School District 3 (where the school is located). After the change, it became a "screened school," allowing the children of wealthy families in other districts to enroll. As one might expect, the percentage of minority students admitted to the school dropped.

This article from 2009 explains the administrative change.
What do you know?

The billionth example of "if it's on the internet and makes people sound insane, there's probably a logical explanation that some shitty ideological-based news source chose to leave out" .

Reactions: Djinn and The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It was not long before my time, but there was a gun range in the basement of my high school. Kids would bring their rifles to target practice.

Strange how, when everyone and their dog had a gun that there weren't many mass shootings.
It is interesting; Russian schools also often have a storage safe full of AKs in the basement

along with a target range; mainly for the boys, who are required, after Grade 9, if I recall correctly, to do military draft preparation courses

though girls can go down there to shoot for fun too lol (Just as females over there can and do serve in the military as volunteers, though they are not drafted)

:D

And yet, I do not recall any incident in schools there, where these weapons were misused...

Last edited:

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more

"Students from one of the most selective New York City public high schools, which is half white, staged a walkout to advocate for more diversity in the city’s schools.

About 300 students at the prestigious Beacon High School walked out of class on Monday to demonstrate against the school’s stringent admissions standards, according to the New York Times. They believe that rigid screening procedures have contributed to segregation in the school system."

"During the protest, students chanted slogans such as “end Jim Crow” and “education is a right, not just for the rich and white.”

Beacon has a very selective admissions process that demands high test scores and requires students to compile a portfolio of their middle school work. Last year, the school saw more than 5,800 applications for just 360 seats."

Should this high school purposely attempt to lower the current white student numbers? Or should they keep their admissions based on current policy and merits?

Discuss.
I noticed you've posted a few threads now based on questioning whether something or other is "racist". In every single case it's been based on supposed racism against whites. Which , in of itself, is a bit curious. But, in every single case, you've also failed to provide a definition of racism that would otherwise support any sort of determination in the affirmative. In this case, the students aren't protesting based on a belief in the inferiority of the white race. Nor have you even asserted such a claim. What you appear to be doing in most of your threads on racism is asserting dubious instances of non-whites being provided special rights , privileges, or what ever, to the detriment of whites. In this case it's the mere idea that another race , ether individually or collectively, might seek to populate their campus in proportionate numbers. Well, that's not necessarily racist. That is, unless you're arguing that anything that threatens the white majority is racist.