Protests in Iran gaining in strength.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Thanks for providing a source. Although the date says 1936, and jennial's source about the Women's Movement in Iran covers 1962 to 1978.

And your source's page says:

"This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information."
From your source:

The Islamic Revolution of 1979 brought seismic changes to Iran, not least for women. One area that has come under scrutiny is the way women dress and wear their hair - the old Shah, in the 1930s, banned the veil and ordered police to forcibly remove headscarves. But in the early 1980s, the new Islamic authorities imposed a mandatory dress code that required all women to wear the hijab.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Women wore the Abaya in Iran when the Shah was in power.. Only those in his immediate circle benefited .. Remember the SAVAK.. We trained them up with the Gestapo as a model. Schwarzkopf's father trained them.
So then you were part of the Gestapo training program?

Is that also source of your experience with SA?

Jul 2019
Atlanta
So then you were part of the Gestapo training program?

Is that also source of your experience with SA?
Nope. I didn't have anything to do with that. They were trained by Swartzkopf and the Mossad.

KSA doesn't have secret police.

SAVAK was responsible for

Censorship of press, books and films.
Interrogation and often torture of prisoners
Surveillance of political opponents.

I think they were disbanded in 1979.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Nope. I didn't have anything to do with that. They were trained by Swartzkopf and the Mossad.

KSA doesn't have secret police.

SAVAK was responsible for

Censorship of press, books and films.
Interrogation and often torture of prisoners
Surveillance of political opponents.

I think they were disbanded in 1979.
Yes, I remember that from college campus life - they spied on Iranian students in the US.

Then we still dont know the source of your expertise with both countries.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Yes. There was a period of time between the father (who was ousted), and the absolute monarchy imposed by the son.
Reza was forced out in 1941 and his son took over. Iran has had a very tumultuous history for a long, long time. I think Reza went too far too fast and pissed off the Shia clerics and the devout.

Jan 2020
USA
From your source:

The Islamic Revolution of 1979 brought seismic changes to Iran, not least for women. One area that has come under scrutiny is the way women dress and wear their hair - the old Shah, in the 1930s, banned the veil and ordered police to forcibly remove headscarves. But in the early 1980s, the new Islamic authorities imposed a mandatory dress code that required all women to wear the hijab.
I can see why you believe that Iranian women never had a choice... and who knows, maybe that's true... however your source and mine only say what happened in the 1930s, neither of them say how long that policy was in effect.

On your side about freedom of choice. Yet also on the side of truth. (Not that Iranian people ever had much liberty) So we haven't resolved your original claim:

"Neither before the revolution, nor after the revolution were women free to choose for themselves to cover their hair or not."

It's important we get these types of info correct.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
On your side about freedom of choice. Yet also on the side of truth. (Not that Iranian people ever had much liberty) So we haven't resolved your original claim:

"Neither before the revolution, nor after the revolution were women free to choose for themselves to cover their hair or not."
Pre-revolutionary Tehran:

The official ban on the veil was lifted in the 1940s after Reza Shah's abdication.

Reactions: grassvoter