Protests in Iran gaining in strength.

Nov 2015
UK
We know that Iran isn't terribly worried about its civilian population. The Supreme Leader has the authority to do pretty much anything. The Supreme Leader is overseen by the Assembly of Experts, and the Assembly of Experts members are appointed by the Guardian Council. But the Guardian Council members are appointed by the Supreme Leader, so he pretty much has a lock on everything. Note that questioning the Supreme Leader is viewed as a criminal offense. This makes internal peaceful regime change impossible.

The Supreme Leader and his high-level supporters have no interest in ceding power, and the Supreme Leader has complete authority over the military. Iranian civilians cannot hope to forcefully overthrow the Iranian government. This makes internal violent regime change impossible.

The U.S. could assist the Iranian people and overthrow the Iranian government. However, the casualty count would be far greater than we saw in Iraq, it would NOT be over quickly, and there's no good reason to believe that the new regime would be a significant improvement over the old regime. After all, one advantage of the existing regime is that it's too powerful to be challenged internally. A new fledgling replacement regime would be in constant battle with varying factions, resulting in chaos and death for decades - and the only thing that these factions could agree on is a deep-seated resentment against the U.S. for getting involved. This makes external regime change non-viable.

So the best solution would be to work WITH the existing regime. Yes, it's distasteful, and they're barbaric, but they're the lynchpin keeping the powderkeg from exploding. The best solution is to find diplomatic ways to work WITH the Iranian regime. Find solutions, build treaties, and gradually nudge the regime into slowly changing their behavior, step-by-step, and working with them, and staying on good terms with them so we can accurately measure the risk they present.
Hmm, it seems Trump gets ridiculed for trying to do the same with North Korea.

Oct 2013
Sweden
the point is, you all are lamenting the killing of soleimani, if it turns out to be the shot that sparks the iranian peoples uprising you all are going to be in a quandry
You clearly lack comprehension, Its assassinating members of foreign govts, its not ok. Its not what sparks any revolution.,....but of course you will be arrogant enough to pretend such a thing. Iranians have many issues with their govt and have for a long time. Trump didnt create that, nor did he spark it...but american arrogance will mean many will claim so...but then again, thats the same folks who embrace fairy tale plots as "real".

Oct 2013
Sweden
I really hope the regime does not murder a bunch of those protestors. They have a really bad history of killing protestors.

It would be great for the world if the Mullahs were trashed.
But if we bomb Iran and kill those people, it would suddenly be ok and we would cast them as evil.....

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I really hope the regime does not murder a bunch of those protestors. They have a really bad history of killing protestors.

It would be great for the world if the Mullahs were trashed.
Iran might have a chance of a better life if the Mullahs were not so powerful. I read several articles today that Iran was firing live ammo at the protesters today. I also saw a few awful videos. There is serious unrest in Iran right now. I do admire their bravery....protesting against the government in Iran could be a death sentence.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
Some well placed assassins taking out a few key islamic thugs would really help the people take down the regime. We should help with that.

Jan 2007
Iran might have a chance of a better life if the Mullahs were not so powerful. I read several articles today that Iran was firing live ammo at the protesters today. I also saw a few awful videos. There is serious unrest in Iran right now. I do admire their bravery....protesting against the government in Iran could be a death sentence.
Hope they keep the pressure on the govt. This may be their chance to make a new start.

Sep 2013
On a hill
I agree, but my question is why did dems support this horrific agreement with Iran? There is no making peace with that kind of dictatorship just as we have seen in North Korea? Dems condemned Trump for attempting diplomacy in N. Korea, but had no problem with diplomacy in Iran.
There is diplomacy, and then there is falling in love on the heels of the torture into a coma, and death of an american citizen for stealing a poster.

Reactions: charleston2
Jul 2019
Atlanta
2019 Price Hike Protests

• Killed: At least 208
  • Detained: At least 7,000
  • Flashpoint: Fuel Prices
  • Location and Scope: Protests spread to at least 100 cities and towns with more than 200,000 participants
In a surprise overnight announcement on November 15, 2019, Iran hiked gas prices—by up to 300 percent—and introduced a new rationing system. The government’s goal was to raise funds to help the poor, but it backfired. The protests swept 100 cities over four days. They first broke out in oil-rich Khuzestan province, in Iran’s southwest but quickly spread to other regions, including Mashhad, a conservative stronghold and Iran’s second largest city, in the northwest. Demonstrators reportedly chanted anti-government slogans, including, "Have shame Rouhani, Leave the country alone!"

The regime used tear gas, water cannons and live ammunition to disperse the protesters. The government also nearly completely shut down the internet for five days to prevent images of the protests and crackdown from spreading over social media.

By December 2, at least 208 protesters had been killed, according to Amnesty International. The Center for Human Rights in Iran estimated that 4,000 people were arrested. Iran rejected the reports by outside groups. The State Department estimated that the regime killed more than 1,000 people, including at least a dozen children, but acknowledged that verification was difficult. Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook, said U.S officials “know for certain” that the death toll was in the “many, many hundreds.”

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Hmm, it seems Trump gets ridiculed for trying to do the same with North Korea.
Date15 November 2019 – present[1]
LocationIran
Caused by
Goals
MethodsDemonstrations, riots, sit-ins, civil resistance, strikes, online activisms, arson
StatusOngoing