Pullout is best way to stop violence in Iraq?

F

freethinkr

I simply go by what the generals that are there are saying.
So do I. Here's what one general says.

Attacks against British and Iraqi forces have plunged by 90 percent in southern Iraq since London withdrew its troops from the main city of Basra, the commander of British forces there said.

S

sid2112

The "surge" has resulted in modest deceases in violence in some areas of Iraq, more violence in others. So just what is the winning strategy to pacifying the violence in Iraq? Well, if Basra is any example, an immediate pullout seems to be pretty damn effective.

In Basra, violence is a tenth of what it was before British pullback, general says - International Herald Tribune

So why exactly are we continuing to send our troops to Iraq and squandering our nation's wealth on this war?
Wait, didn't the Brits pullout of Basra because the population had already reduced the violence? I think we need to take a closer look at how the Brits handled Basra and use that knowledge to help other areas of the country, obviously they did thier job better than we are.

L

Latherty

Wait, didn't the Brits pullout of Basra because the population had already reduced the violence? I think we need to take a closer look at how the Brits handled Basra and use that knowledge to help other areas of the country, obviously they did thier job better than we are.
I don't think so. i remember them saying some months ago they're only there to protect themselves being there....that they were the focus of the violence...
Basra's probably an imperfect example because it was ethnically pretty much entirely Shia anyway...

L

Latherty

Bert, I just mucked through this entire thread and do not see once where you address my previous points. We have a story here showing that pulling out actually reduced violence far more than anything else we have tried. So, why should we continue losing troops when the most effective thing to stop violence is also the thing that keeps our troops and economy from being killed? You seem to think that there's a tradeoff in everything. In this case, it's a win/win. Both sides get what they want. This is the whole point of this thread. Please address this and not some fantasy land where leaving Iraq will result in mass murder and chaos.
The problem in Baghdad and other areas is that you have more than one faction. So a win/win/lose/win/lose/lose outcome is possible...

Basra was always relatively ehtnically uniform, although there is some factional discomfort amongst the Shia. Having generally two identifiable sides made the politics at least a little more simple, and the withdrawal was probably welcomed by a greater and more influential majority.

S

sid2112

I don't think so. i remember them saying some months ago they're only there to protect themselves being there....that they were the focus of the violence...
Basra's probably an imperfect example because it was ethnically pretty much entirely Shia anyway...
Ethnicity gives me an idea. We had this big thing for a long time (1860 - 1969 roughly) that determined the equal status of all ethnic groups here in the United State, it sounds like Arabia could take a lesson from us!