Putin says will never legalise gay marriage

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday Russia would not legalize gay marriage as long as he was in the Kremlin.

He made clear he would not allow the traditional notion of mother and father to be subverted by what he called "parent number 1" and "parent number 2".

"As far as 'parent number 1' and 'parent number 2' goes, I've already spoken publicly about this and I'll repeat it again: as long as I'm president this will not happen. There will be dad and mum," Putin said.

During his two decades in power, Putin has closely aligned himself with the Orthodox Church and sought to distance Russia from liberal Western values, including attitudes towards homosexuality and gender fluidity.

He made the comments as he met a state commission to discuss changes to Russia's constitution.

The commission was set up last month after Putin announced sweeping changes to Russia's political system that are widely seen as being designed to help him extend his grip on power after his scheduled departure from office in 2024.

Other proposals have since been put forward and Putin was asked to comment on a proposal to add a line in the constitution defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

"We need only to think in what phrases and where to do this," he replied.

In separate comments during the meeting, Putin said he backed an idea to make it unconstitutional for Russia to give away any part of its territory, a move likely to irritate Japan and Ukraine that have land disputes with Moscow.

Russia annexed the peninsula of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and has been in a decades-long dispute with Tokyo over ownership of a chain of islands in the Pacific that Moscow seized from Japan at the end of World War Two.

Russia and Japan have been holding talks on the latter dispute which has prevented the countries formally signing a peace treaty after World War Two.

"We have talks under way with our partners on certain questions, but I like the idea itself," Putin said. "So let's instruct the lawyers, ask them to formulate this in the right way."

Some conservative groups tied to the Church have, specifically, asked for a specific provision stipulating that marriage is only between a man and woman, to be included among the new amendments to the Constitution:

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Those Russians, starting with Putin, should be very ashamed of themselves for their stance in that matter. Only they know no shame. Of course we cannot expect for a backward, draconian third world country like Russia with Sixteenth Century mentality to come on-line with modern day reality in thinking and tolerance for those who are different. It doesn't work that way with THOSE PEOPLE. What does work and what Putin truly cares for are the beatings, the despicably nasty treatment and much much worse such as the diabolical executions execrably administered to members of the LGBT Community. Of course, try as they may, Russians fail every time in saying that they too are a "Christian" country. If they truly were they would use God-given COMPASSION rather than the condemnation of otherwise innocent people. Nothing could be farther away from Christianity in their present stance in their so mistreating their citizens, who for their information, God Also Created. I suppose Putin and discriminatory, prejudiced and bigoted Russians think that they are far above sin that they can feel free to cast the first stone. Well, they're not.

Besides, haven't you noticed that their military walks funny! :lol: :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Those Russians, starting with Putin, should be very ashamed of themselves for their stance in that matter. Only they know no shame. Of course we cannot expect for a backward, draconian third world country like Russia with Sixteenth Century mentality to come on-line with modern day reality in thinking and tolerance for those who are different. It doesn't work that way with THOSE PEOPLE. What does work and what Putin truly cares for are the beatings, the despicably nasty treatment and much much worse such as the diabolical executions execrably administered to members of the LGBT Community. Of course, try as they may, Russians fail every time in saying that they too are a "Christian" country. If they truly were they would use God-given COMPASSION rather than the condemnation of otherwise innocent people. Nothing could be farther away from Christianity in their present stance in their so mistreating their citizens, who for their information, God Also Created. I suppose Putin and discriminatory, prejudiced and bigoted Russians think that they are far above sin that they can feel free to cast the first stone. Well, they're not.

Besides, haven't you noticed that their military walks funny! :lol: :lol:
While I don't disagree with you about all the big list of issues over there, including in terms of social development, your own bigotry is just as unwarranted IMHO

Very funny, however lol

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
While I don't disagree with you about all the big list of issues over there, including in terms of social development, your own bigotry is just as unwarranted IMHO

Very funny, however lol
Not bigotry on my part. Save that comment for the radical right that has rightfully earned it.

Reactions: Despair

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Not bigotry on my part. Save that comment for the radical right that has rightfully earned it.
Well, you were insulting a whole nation, what do you want me to call it??? It WAS. Even if, again, I actually kinda agree with some of it...

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Your post was bigoted. You are too much in the Leftist bubble to even recognize it anymore.

I am in to live and let live. I would be alright with gays marrying. It's not my business and the state should not be authoritarian to such a personal level. However, I have not spent a day in Russia, so my opinion is based on some real ignorance.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Well, you were insulting a whole nation, what do you want me to call it??? It WAS. Even if, again, I actually kinda agree with some of it...
In other words, those comments about a Communist nation got you pissed. You don't like Russia since you fled from it. But you Love Russia because it is your home country. Got it!

• Wow

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
In other words, those comments about a Communist nation got you pissed. You don't like Russia since you fled from it. But you Love Russia because it is your home country. Got it!
???

Umm...

Well, first, they have not been "Communist" for decades now...

As far as "liking", "loving", etc...

Russia herself, as a nation, as a concept... Sure. It is my blood, whether I did "like" it or not, it is part of who I am, no matter where in the world I may live, and which other country I now may swear my wholehearted allegiance to.

That does NOT, however, oblige me to "like" any regime that may be in power there, such as Putin, ATM. Which I do not. In fact, I despise the guy, for the fact that he is KGB, if nothing else...

But, that does not mean we should insult the entire nation, as you did...

Reactions: Puzzling Evidence
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
???

Umm...

Well, first, they have not been "Communist" for decades now...

As far as "liking", "loving", etc...

Russia herself, as a nation, as a concept... Sure. It is my blood, whether I did "like" it or not, it is part of who I am, no matter where in the world I may live, and which other country I now may swear my wholehearted allegiance to.

That does NOT, however, oblige me to "like" any regime that may be in power there, such as Putin, ATM. Which I do not. In fact, I despise the guy, for the fact that he is KGB, if nothing else...

But, that does not mean we should insult the entire nation, as you did...
If you care anything about the LGBT Community that is being so PERSECUTED and MURDERED there by being thrown off buildings, etc. as we've heard happens just for being Gay and Lesbian you would not feel so sympathetic to that execrable nation. And don't tell me it isn't happening there because I can show you reports that would make most people cringe in horror along with pictures perhaps too graphic to show here along those lines! That is one of the main things that greatly upsets me and makes me see red when I think of Russia. They surely still act as if they were continuing in the same vein of the heinous and animalistic Communist reign. Do people there have the freedom and power to speak openly against Putin without repercussions? No! Do Gay and Lesbian citizens there have the freedom and power to demonstrate openly and organize without reprisals? No! Can their citizens enjoy freedoms such as we enjoy here? NO! And all of the stories that have come out about people strangely "disappearing" when they went against Putin is truly reminiscent of the Communist era in Russia. Don't see how it could come any closer. And haven't even begun to talk to all of the other things that the world despises about those people. So, they are not liked around the world. Not at all. Not even close. But how can you blame those that don't like that despicable country under the circumstances? Hell, not even most Americans like Russia, except perhaps for Trump that is. They seriously need to shape up to be more acceptable. And giving FULL HUMAN RIGHTS to each and every LGBT citizen with inclusiviness there would be a good start!

• Wow