Question for supporters of socialized medicine...

Aug 2012
If we're giving free or even subsidized health care to some subset of the American population, and the cost of that is being borne by a different subset of the population, does the former have any right to demand that the latter stop smoking and/or drinking and maybe get out for a walk now and then to keep their health situation at the lowest cost possible? After all the latter are paying (some or all of) the bills for the former and should have some rights in this contractual relationship, no? Simple common decency, one would think, would suggest that the former would want to be as small a burden on the latter as possible. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2011
Not the South, thank God
folks who smoke, drink regularly, eat shitty foods, don't exercise, should pay higher co-pays for their health insurance.

May 2012
By the wall
I don't think you want smokers, heavy drinkers, drug users to lessen up. You want them to increase their habits so they die quicker and get off the government teet.

The quicker the die the quicker you and I no longer have to pay for their medical expenses. I'd say we make heroin, cocaine and all the fun drugs absolutely legal and free so we can start weeding out the undesirables from society. Then I would have no problem helping legitimate citizens afford healthcare.

Reactions: Raoul_Duke
Aug 2012
I don't think you want smokers, heavy drinkers, drug users to lessen up. You want them to increase their habits so they die quicker and get off the government teet.

The quicker the die the quicker you and I know longer have to pay for their medical expenses. I'd say we make heroin, cocaine and all the fun drugs absolutely legal and free so we can start weeding out the undesirables from society. Then I would have no problem helping legitimate citizens afford healthcare.
don't forget to congratulate the best killer of them all, alcohol. plus it removes large numbers of younger innocents in drunk driving incidents that will NEVER require health care!!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Humans are constantly looking at others for approval and often feel anger and resentment towards others who don't fit the social norm so as far as the OP goes, yes they will want to make everyone conform. Problem is in a multicultural society it doesn't work well. In societies in Asia for example their diets, activities and habits are relatively uniform. Here with a melting pot it is hard to regulate and determine things like diet, since cultures like Hispanics and Inuits have extremely fat based diets and therefore have higher BMIs than say Japanese who eat a lot of fish, rice and vegetables. As for alcohol we are relatively Puritanic in our consumption, Europeans can usually drink us under the table. Other cultures also smoke a lot more than we do so it is hard to make assumptions about that habit as well. I do think with socialized medicine (few countries actually have this) it would create some sort of conformity that many here would not feel comfortable with.

May 2012
By the wall
don't forget to congratulate the best killer of them all, alcohol. plus it removes large numbers of younger innocents in drunk driving incidents that will NEVER require health care!!
Alcohol is already legal and frankly it would be a waste of money to make it free since there are far too many responsible drinkers. Its addictive but not like cocaine or heroin is and its also not as damaging as quickly in most instances. Alcohol would stay at its current status.

Aug 2012
Alcohol is already legal and frankly it would be a waste of money to make it free since there are far too many responsible drinkers. Its addictive but not like cocaine or heroin is and its also not as damaging as quickly in most instances. Alcohol would stay at its current status.
good, just as long as it gets its credit due as the biggest killer of them all. it is definitely as damaging as quickly as any study of teenage drinking and driving accidents will tell you.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.

The quicker the die the quicker you and I no longer have to pay for their medical expenses. I'd say we make heroin, cocaine and all the fun drugs absolutely legal and free so we can start weeding out the undesirables from society. Then I would have no problem helping legitimate citizens afford healthcare.
That's what's referred to as compassionate conservatism.

Reactions: 2 people