Questioning The Use of Gender Neutral Pronouns is Unacceptable - College Position!

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Here is the audio. If you want to know how out of control Universities have become as far as the Market Place of Ideas go, please listen to this sound cloud.

https://soundcloud.com/tristin-john-hopper/recording-of-meeting-between-lindsay-shepherd-and-wilfrid-laurier-university-professors

The universities representatives lie, tell half truths, and have no goal but to push very hard left agenda. I have no problem with the hard left position being presented, but that should also mean the right agenda should be presented, but not eve that is what happened.

Jordan Peterson is a voice they will not allow in a discussion regarding Gender Languages. The Teaching Assistant is labeled "transphobic" for even presenting "alternative views" that are mainstream.

We cannot have honest debates unless both sides are allowed to be presented. What goes on in the audio is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
In November 2017 a teaching assistant (TA) at Wilfrid Laurier University (WLU) was censured by her professors and WLU's Manager of Gendered Violence Prevention and Support for showing a segment of The Agenda, which featured Peterson debating Bill C-16, during a classroom discussion. The reasons given for the censure included the clip creating a "toxic climate" and being itself in violation of Bill C-16. The case was criticized by several newspaper editorial boards and national newspaper columnists as an example of the suppression of free speech on university campuses. WLU announced a third-party investigation. After the audio recording of the meeting in which the TA was censured was released, WLU President Deborah MacLatchy and the TA's supervising professor Nathan Rambukkana published letters of formal apology. According to the investigation no students had complained about the lesson, there was no informal concern related to Laurier policy, and according to MacLatchy the meeting "never should have happened at all".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson#Of_Bill_C-16 (footnotes omitted; boldface supplied).

This issue was resolved 3-1/2 months ago.

I only listened to about 1/2 to 3/4 of the audio ... it was easy to hear the TA on my speakers, but not so much the staff interrogating her (and I didn't feel like putting on my headphones), so I probably didn't get much out of it, but it did seem like they were trying to manipulate her thought patterns into a kind of conformity.

Feb 2007
In my mind
I am more along the liens of the don't be a fucking asshole school of thought.

The main theme is simply refer to people how they want to be referred to.

Reactions: 3 people
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
OMG .....

I could take more than 3 minutes of this woman smacking in between every sentence.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Bottom line - if you're an employee of the school, you teach from an approved curriculum. It's that simple. Likewise, if you work for a restaurant, and they tell you to use a particular greeting with customers, you use that greeting.

At about 6:05, the university rep says that the teaching assistant is welcome to her own opinions - but what gets taught in class isn't up to the teaching assistant. It's ultimately up to the university. This is how it's been since the earliest universities, a thousand years ago.

When I was in college, we had a firebrand-caliber feminist professor teaching one of my classes. The name of the class was "Great Ideas of Western Civilization." You know what feminist ideals she introduced to the class? None. She played by the book. And once in a while, at the end of class, she'd tell us about an upcoming debate, or similar extracurricular event for both students and professors, and invite us to join if schedules permit.

There - yeah, she was fire and brimstone. And a damn fine debater. But she kept it out of class teachings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Bottom line - if you're an employee of the school, you teach from an approved curriculum. It's that simple. Likewise, if you work for a restaurant, and they tell you to use a particular greeting with customers, you use that greeting.

At about 6:05, the university rep says that the teaching assistant is welcome to her own opinions - but what gets taught in class isn't up to the teaching assistant. It's ultimately up to the university. This is how it's been since the earliest universities, a thousand years ago.

When I was in college, we had a firebrand-caliber feminist professor teaching one of my classes. The name of the class was "Great Ideas of Western Civilization." You know what feminist ideals she introduced to the class? None. She played by the book. And once in a while, at the end of class, she'd tell us about an upcoming debate, or similar extracurricular event for both students and professors, and invite us to join if schedules permit.

There - yeah, she was fire and brimstone. And a damn fine debater. But she kept it out of class teachings.
I have to say I disagree. This person is a TA, not an regularly employed instructor, so she may not be the instructor of record. But if she were, she'd be protected by principles of academic freedom (as are students who might respond to what was presented). Let's remember that it was the people investigating this supposed infraction who had to apologize. Universities are NOT top-down institutions that tell instructors what they have to teach in their classes. That's the thousand year old tradition of universities--academic freedom.

The progenitor for the university professor is Socrates, who defended himself against charges of "corrupting the youth" by pointing out that he was a gadfly who irritated those in power, and that as such they should pay him a stipend, not force him to drink hemlock.

If you want a list of academics who say unpopular things and whose universities wish they would shut up, I'd be happy to oblige.

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Damned Canadians!

But they were required to apologize, so not sure what the deal is....
I didn't look into it in too much detail (there are footnotes on the Wikipedia page I did not investigate), but the part I bolded (and reproduce below) seems to be the key:

According to the investigation no students had complained about the lesson, there was no informal concern related to Laurier policy, and according to MacLatchy the meeting "never should have happened at all".
The way I read this, there was no complaint from any student about the matter, and no formal or informal concern related to the school policy - and thus there was no basis for which the meeting to have been held. With no student complaint and no violation of policy, it is not unreasonable to conclude, at least preliminarily, that the staff who interrogated her were doing nothing more than trying to manipulate her into conforming with their agenda that was unrelated to school policy.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I have to say I disagree. This person is a TA, not an regularly employed instructor, so she may not be the instructor of record. But if she were, she'd be protected by principles of academic freedom (as are students who might respond to what was presented). Let's remember that it was the people investigating this supposed infraction who had to apologize.
It doesn't matter whether you're an employee, or a volunteer. In the classroom, you're representing the university.

A few questions that would influence my opinion:

What was the name of the class in which Lindsay Shepherd showed the video in question? (with the proper name, I can look up the course description, and assess whether the content was relevant to the class)

With regard to the video, what was the involvement of the professor responsible for the class?

libertariat720

Former Staff
Oct 2015
ohio
Here is the audio. If you want to know how out of control Universities have become as far as the Market Place of Ideas go, please listen to this sound cloud.

https://soundcloud.com/tristin-john-hopper/recording-of-meeting-between-lindsay-shepherd-and-wilfrid-laurier-university-professors

The universities representatives lie, tell half truths, and have no goal but to push very hard left agenda. I have no problem with the hard left position being presented, but that should also mean the right agenda should be presented, but not eve that is what happened.

Jordan Peterson is a voice they will not allow in a discussion regarding Gender Languages. The Teaching Assistant is labeled "transphobic" for even presenting "alternative views" that are mainstream.

We cannot have honest debates unless both sides are allowed to be presented. What goes on in the audio is insane.
Yep, I have already listened to that recording. Utterly ridiculous. Lied about the entire premise of the meeting and tried to scare her into submission.

Gestapo tactics.