Questions RWers won't give a straight answer to-- #17- "School choice/vouchers"

Jun 2013
VA
((Before we begin, let me go ahead and say I would LOVE to be proven wrong and we NOT see dodges, deflections, subject change attempts, or talking about me from the Rightwingers....but I seriously doubt it. :) ))

Okay, they want "school vouchers". Families would get a "voucher" they could use at any school "they want" and thus be "free to choose the best school for their child"....

one question-

Does the SCHOOL....get a CHOICE?

Will the school have the CHOICE of deciding which family's voucher to accept...and which family's voucher to NOT accept?

Dec 2016
United States
((Before we begin, let me go ahead and say I would LOVE to be proven wrong and we NOT see dodges, deflections, subject change attempts, or talking about me from the Rightwingers....but I seriously doubt it. :) ))

Okay, they want "school vouchers". Families would get a "voucher" they could use at any school "they want" and thus be "free to choose the best school for their child"....

one question-

Will the school have the CHOICE of deciding which family's voucher to accept...and which family's voucher to NOT accept?
No

May 2016
california
I don't know about right wingers, but seems to me private schools can't accept everybody, unless they are a really big school, without turning away somebody. However private schools vouchers just highlights the problem that public schools aren't working very well despite more and more money being spent on them. Personally I don't know why they insist on keeping them in school for 12 years anyway, most of them quit learning anything useful early on.

Last edited:
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I thought vouchers were for a set amount, not necessarily the amount of the tuition to any particular private school? So if the really good school is 10 grand a year and the voucher is for 5 grand, the family has to ante up the difference, am I wrong?

Jun 2013
VA
I don't know about right wingers, but seems to me private schools can't except everybody, unless they are a really big school, without turning away somebody. However private schools vouchers just highlights the problem that public schools aren't working very well despite more and more money being spent on them. Personally I don't know why they insist on keeping them in school for 12 years anyway, most of them quit learning anything useful early on.
Do you have an answer to my question though?

Under a school voucher system, will the school have the CHOICE of deciding which family's voucher to accept...and which family's voucher to NOT accept?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
However private schools vouchers just highlights the problem that public schools aren't working very well despite more and more money being spent on them.
The difference is that private schools can choose who to accept and decline, while public schools must accept anyone. More services are required to be provided for a wider range of students at public schools than private schools. Therefore, the dollars that go into public schools have to stretch farther than in private schools (though naturally the private schools are more expensive out-of-pocket).

Jun 2013
VA
I thought vouchers were for a set amount, not necessarily the amount of the tuition to any particular private school? So if the really good school is 10 grand a year and the voucher is for 5 grand, the family has to ante up the difference, am I wrong?
Hang on, Gaff.......as some of the Rightwingers suspect?

There's a "trick" built into the question-

Will the school have the CHOICE of deciding which family's voucher to accept...and which family's voucher to NOT accept?]

Jul 2015
Maryland USA

one question-

While there are multiple details that can impact acceptance, for example more applicants than spots available, in general terms, I will say no. I have a certain comfort to say that because I think that any parent that will go though the process to obtain the voucher and select a school is dedicated to the education of their children and also discipline their children to assure they take advantage of educational opportunities. I think one of the main problems in our public education is the lack of parental concern and discipline.

Jan 2014
California
Mr. Zephyr,

I disagree with you there. Just like public schools, some schools may have higher standards than others, and may only accept students who can meet those standards.

Realize, it is just another Gecko canard. He knows that public schools pick and choose the students they want, but he pretends it is a crime that private schools do, such is his dishonest method of countering the voucher debate.