R.E.M. considering legal action against Trump for using their songs at rallies

Sep 2012
SoCal
Why doesn't Drumpf just play Nugent's garbage ... I'm sure he wouldn't mind ...

After President Trump played R.E.M. songs "Everybody Hurts" and "Losing My Religion" at his Tuesday night rally in Milwaukee, Wisconson, Mills expressed his frustration and announced the band is "exploring all legal avenues" to prevent Trump from using their music.

"We are aware that the President* @realDonaldTrump continues to use our music at his rallies. We are exploring all legal avenues to prevent this, but if that's not possible please know that we do not condone the use of our music by this fraud and con man."

Nov 2013
NY
who the hell is picking his songs anyhow ? what kind of odd lyrics are those for. trump rally?
are they trying to poke fun at snowflake liberals with everybody hurts ? is he trying to show that the evangelicals and bible thumpers still smooch his butthole, even if he sings to them that he has lost all religion ?

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
surely with all the stars and performers at Trump's beck and call, as he showed the nation at his hugest bestest inauguration, he could use some other music to lie by- maybe something by Scott Baio or Antonio Sabato, Jr...two stars who lit up the stage at his hugest bestest inauguration...

surely you remember those two icons- and if not, surely Ted Nugent would let him use his song Jailbait, about having sex with a 13 year old, written when he was 33 years old....what is it with trump and child molester freaks like Nugent and Epstein and Judge Roy Moore?

scott baio suspenders.jpg

antonio sabato jr.jpg

nugent weasel.jpg

Nov 2015
UK
Why doesn't Drumpf just play Nugent's garbage ... I'm sure he wouldn't mind ...

How does it work in America? In the he UK, you just pay for a licence and away you go. We don't have music artists galloping around to certain events saying, "Don't play my music".

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
How does it work in America? In the he UK, you just pay for a licence and away you go. We don't have music artists galloping around to certain events saying, "Don't play my music".

they may give the rights for licensing, but they do not give up their right to insist it not be played in public that might cause them shame or embarrassment, like at a trump rally or at a cockfight or a pig shit-eating contest.

Reactions: NeoVsMatrix

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Since the music is owned by the artist, the artist controls how it is used. Permission would have to be purchased from the artist as with any other contract. If the artist refuses to grant that permission, then the music cannot be used.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Since the music is owned by the artist, the artist controls how it is used. Permission would have to be purchased from the artist as with any other contract. If the artist refuses to grant that permission, then the music cannot be used.
IIRC UMPG co-owns the music with REM and they'll be the party who takes legal action.

Right now legal action is most likely DMCA takedowns which you see on all platforms from live streaming to youtube. Universal Music is well known for their aggressive take-down notices but have shown if they can make a buck off the video, they will leave it up and claim all monetization. But that might be all they can actually do.

Some platforms, like Youtube, will ban you outright if you have too many legit DMCA notices. It shows you are stealing content. But Twitter will not ban Trump however they could file this under that "Sensitive Content" warning to censure these posts that have DMCA claims.