Racism: How can you deny what is before your eyes?

Apr 2015
Mid ATL

We are going backwards, not that we ever gained enough ground worth mentioning.

Watch this video and then try and tell me that we are a post racist society.
Two points you are glaringly omitting....

1. State-sanctioned, widespread, systemic racism is OVER. Done. Legislative and constitutional protections have done away with it.
2. Overlaying historic acts of racial violence over out of context Trump quotes is not helping make any case that this is a party-related issue.

Honest people know these things.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I dont bbelieve that most people are aS raciest as some people thiNk.

Even people who think they are racist have often been mislead into buying into racist ideas..

Eye have raciesT friends who often subscribe to raciest views untill you attacK their arguments. they then admit that they dont hate that someone's race, rather they dislike certain actiOns and behaviors. That isnt racism, rather, its a misGuided connotation that THEY are blindly attributing.

=======÷=======

i agree with the premise of yoar thread, but i feel that a cuRe lies in maintaining dialogue with people harboring these unsavouRy viewpoints.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet

1. State-sanctioned, widespread, systemic racism is OVER. Done. Legislative and constitutional protections have done away with it.
2. Overlaying historic acts of racial violence over out of context Trump quotes is not helping make any case that this is a party-related issue.

That's incorrect. While i hold that most people are not racist, i cannot say the same for our government who subconsciously or otherwise, often is tthe main culprit of institutional racism.

I often heAr Republicans accusing Democratic leadership of tHis, but they are only half-right.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas

You are absolutely correct.

But, there are still many in this Country who exist in a constant state of victimization and will always see the boogey man behind every bush.

Reactions: TNVolunteer73

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
I dont bbelieve that most people are aS raciest as some people thiNk.

Even people who think they are racist have often been mislead into buying into racist ideas..

Eye have raciesT friends who often subscribe to raciest views untill you attacK their arguments. they then admit that they dont hate that someone's race, rather they dislike certain actiOns and behaviors. That isnt racism, rather, its a misGuided connotation that THEY are blindly attributing.

=======÷=======

i agree with the premise of yoar thread, but i feel that a cuRe lies in maintaining dialogue with people harboring these unsavouRy viewpoints.

i don’t have racist friends.

Apr 2015
Mid ATL
That's incorrect. While i hold that most people are not racist, i cannot say the same for our government who subconsciously or otherwise, often is tthe main culprit of institutional racism.

I often heAr Republicans accusing Democratic leadership of tHis, but they are only half-right.
It's not incorrect, though you may disagree.
The "government" is not inherently racist, unless you wish to consider pandering and lowering standards for some races as the "racism" of which you speak. What there is NOT is a protection for government facilities and institutions to discriminate based on favoring the white race over others.

In politics, many party members will pander to one race over another, but there are practically none with a popular following who are openly racially discriminatory. It's difficult to achieve a popular following with outdated racial politics which are frowned upon by the great majority.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
While I can see the point of that very compelling video, I do not believe we are going backwards, per the commentary.

Where is the video of minority teachers? Minorities being elected to government?

There are issues still, certainly, but I believe the positives matter most. And a lot of those positives would have never happened in the 50s and 60s - but are today.