Rand Paul blocks pipeline safety bill

Nov 2007
NE Wisconsin
Like father, like son. Rand Paul is as bat shit crazy as that idiot father of his. He votes against a bill that would strengthen pipeline safety very likely preventing massive tragedies such as the explosion outside San Francisco.

A senator who opposes federal regulation on philosophical grounds is single-handedly blocking legislation that would strengthen safety rules for oil and gas pipelines, a bill that even the pipeline industry and companies in his own state support.
Republican Senator Rand Paul’s opposition to the bill has not wavered even after a gas pipeline rupture last week shook people awake in three counties in his home state of Kentucky.

Paul, a Tea Party ally who shares with his father, Representative Ron Paul of Texas, a desire to shrink the role of the federal government, won’t discuss his role in blocking the bill.

But industry lobbyists, safety advocates, and Senate aides said he is the only senator who is refusing to agree to procedures that would permit swift passage of the measure.

A deadly gas pipeline explosion near San Francisco last year - along with other recent gas explosions and oil pipeline spills - has created consensus in Congress, as well as in the industry, that there are gaps in federal safety regulations.

The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee approved the bill in May without opposition.
Senator blocks pipeline safety bill on principle - The Boston Globe

Last edited:

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
So now wee need a huge bailout for the gas and oil industry? They can't pay for this themselves, big government has to? I am glad it got blocked.

metheron

Former Staff
Nov 2006
MI
I commend him for standing on principle and at least maybe inviting more of a debate before rushing through more regulation.

I don't know the first thing about this bill, first I have heard of it, so I don't feel one way or the other about it.

One question I would have, is if the pipeline industry itself supports it, why not implement it without the need of government interference? Seems if these industries would strat to regulate themselves more closely the fed wouldn't have to be involved.

Reactions: Mare Tranquillity

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Well at least this particular idiot is stupid enough to assign his name to the hold unlike the dozens of other senators who have engaged in "secret" holds of appointments and legislation indefinitely, without even providing reason as to why. I suppose he deserves a little respect for that, but it's still typical Paul tone-deafness. Pipeline explodes and kills people? Block new pipeline safety regulations. Hurricane tears up the East Coast? Cut FEMA. This is their shtick.

But Paul Jr. holds a statewide seat in a swing state, not a loyal Texas fiefdom. He can keep this up until 2016, but not a moment longer.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I commend him for standing on principle and at least maybe inviting more of a debate before rushing through more regulation.

I don't know the first thing about this bill, first I have heard of it, so I don't feel one way or the other about it.

One question I would have, is if the pipeline industry itself supports it, why not implement it without the need of government interference? Seems if these industries would strat to regulate themselves more closely the fed wouldn't have to be involved.
If the disaster of 8 years of GOP control proved anything it is that business cannot be left to self-regulate.
If anything, we need MORE Regulation/Oversight...not less!

metheron

Former Staff
Nov 2006
MI
If the disaster of 8 years of GOP control proved anything it is that business cannot be left to self-regulate.
If anything, we need MORE Regulation/Oversight...not less!
Well I don't necessarily agree or disagree. However, it is a philosophical difference that may be worthy of more discussion.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas

Safety regulations are a historical government responsibility. The industry might say they'll adopt the regulations on their own, but there is no guarantee of that unless the industry is willing to create and fund its own office with the power to severely penalize industry wide non-compliance.

Only, that would probably violate Anti-Trust laws...

Regardless, when disasters happen, it makes sense to adopt new safety regulations to try to prevent recurrence. If the industry has no objection, it's a no-brainer.

Well, maybe a little brain is required, or else Paul would probably be on board too.

Reactions: metheron

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
To me this is just too simple. This country rewards bad behavior, it is past time for that to stop. We as tax payers do not owe the gas and oil industry anything.

Had this bill been passed during the Bush era the leftist would be moaning about giving this industry another bailout, and they would be correct. But now that you have a bunch of dems that think the federal government is the solution to all ills, and a bunch of repubs that think the gas and oil industry needs more subsidies, this bill would be an easy pass, say for the courage of one senator.

I think we should thank him.