Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes

Dec 2010
Virginia
Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes
By Frank Lavin
Updated 8:20 AM ET, Sun August 7, 2016

A former government official in Republican administrations since the presidency of Ronald Reagan, Frank Lavin is the CEO of Export Now, a company that helps U.S. brands sell online in China. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his.

(CNN)I had the honor of serving as Ronald Reagan's White House political director from 1987 to 1989, so I can claim some insight on U.S. politics. My central conclusion on the 2016 race: It might not be entirely clear that Hillary Clinton deserves to win the presidency, but it is thunderingly clear that Donald Trump deserves to lose.

From this premise, I will do something that I have not done in 40 years of voting: I will vote for the Democratic nominee for president. The depressing truth of the Republican nominee is that Donald Trump talks a great game but he is the emperor who wears no clothes.

Trump falls short in terms of the character and behavior needed to perform as president. This defect is crippling and ensures he would fail in office. Trump is a bigot, a bully, and devoid of grace or magnanimity. His thin-skinned belligerence toward every challenge, rebuke, or criticism would promise the nation a series of a high-voltage quarrels. His casual dishonesty, his policy laziness, and his lack of self-awareness would mean four years of a careening pin-ball journey that would ricochet from missteps to crisis to misunderstandings to clarifications to retractions.
Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes - CNN.com

I'd say he nailed it in this part of the article: "There are many issues on which Hillary Clinton and I are not in agreement. However on the core foreign policy issues our country faces -- alliance relationships, security commitments, and international engagement -- she comes closer to Republican views than does Trump. And Donald Trump makes me cringe. I am voting for Hillary. And I vote in Ohio."

HRC doesn't come close for me, personally, but she is not Donald Trump. Trump is simply too unstable to allow anywhere near the levers of power.

Reactions: 6 people
May 2012
By the wall
Oh yea, another person not voting for Trump. Are you guys seriously going to make the exact same threads over and over again?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Sane Republicans will vote for third party candidates, no candidate, or Clinton. You know, Democrats would be in this boat if we had nominated Gary Busey .

Busey.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Dec 2010
Virginia
Oh yea, another person not voting for Trump. Are you guys seriously going to make the exact same threads over and over again?
So you have nothing? Why am I not surprised.

It's worth noting that we're seeing people leaving Trump in a VERY PUBLIC MANNER. They aren't JUST choosing not to vote for Trump, but they are also making the case for others to vote against him as well.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2012
By the wall
It's a different prominent Republican every time.
Same story and they hardly prominent, I never heard of this guy. Petition to have a sticky made where you all can just add the names of everyone not voting for Trump so you quit cluttering up the boards.

May 2012
By the wall
So you have nothing? Why am I not surprised.

It's worth noting that we're seeing people leaving Trump in a VERY PUBLIC MANNER. They aren't JUST choosing not to vote for Trump, but they are also making the case for others to vote against him as well.
So I have nothing about what?

There is nothing new to discuss here we haven't discussed in the last two weeks with the hundred other threads you guys have made about people not voting for Trump.

That's the point you are missing. The points been made, try moving on to new material.

Jul 2014
Border Fence

There is nothing new to discuss here we haven't discussed in the last two weeks with the hundred other threads you guys have made about people not voting for Trump.

That's the point you are missing. The points been made, try moving on to new material.
What would you like to discuss?

Dec 2010
Virginia

So you have nothing to contribute? You just want to Troll? That's cool because every time you do so you bump the thread back to the top of the queue where even non-members can see it.
We are seeing a steady flow of prominent republicans fleeing from the Donald Trump candidacy. They're not leaving quietly, either, but rather they are throwing Trump under the (metaphorical) bus and opening the door for still more defections.

Reactions: 2 people
May 2012
By the wall
What would you like to discuss?
If you haven't noticed, these boards have turned into nothing but a flamefest against Donald with almost no worthy content whatsoever being discussed. It's like the left is in a feeding frenzy of hate against the man. Makes it hard for us conservatives to debate anything because you guys are just repeating the same crap over and over again.