Realistic Solution to “Background Check” and guns

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Why would a so-called responsible gun seller sell weapons to a so-called responsible gun buyer without a background check?

Dec 2018
Florida
Problem with your suggestion is that DLs are usually good for several years, so any crime done in the interim which would invalidate right to buy guns would not show up. Like this guy...

Florida man, mad over $1 jump in cigarette price, threatens clerk with loaded rifle

hehe nut. Anyhoo the Swiss have a good system.. buy a certificate from their law enforcement agencies thats good for a few months. each certificate is good for the purchase of 3 guns iirc.
Something I’ve thought about. Require an updated license any time someone commits a crime that would require removal of said right. If my bank can print my debit card on sight? I think a prison could handle that as well.

Dec 2018
Florida
Why would a so-called responsible gun seller sell weapons to a so-called responsible gun buyer without a background check?
Just bought a gun from a close friend. No background check. He is a former LEO and has known me for 2 decades. Nothing we did was irresponsible. I’m no felon. He isn’t either. And I got a nice new (nah, not your business what it is). Or my father giving me a (free gun) on “permanent loan” until he needs it (just a hunting weapon that he doesn’t use anymore but I do). No felonies from either of us. Not exactly irresponsible.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Just bought a gun from a close friend. No background check. He is a former LEO and has known me for 2 decades. Nothing we did was irresponsible. I’m no felon. He isn’t either. And I got a nice new (nah, not your business what it is). Or my father giving me a (free gun) on “permanent loan” until he needs it (just a hunting weapon that he doesn’t use anymore but I do). No felonies from either of us. Not exactly irresponsible.
Our gun club used to loan weapons for others to try different ones before they bought. No background checks either.

Dec 2018
Florida
How is any law going to stop that? News once showed them selling them out of the trunks in their cars in CA. They already have laws on the books but do it anyways. They used to have undercover ATF agents around most gun shows but I dont know if they still do.
The laws don’t. It is enforcement that stops it. And the fact that it is still illegal to sell to a felon means there is no loophole. And FFLs HAVE to run a background check or they are a felon too. Most of the people pushing this stuff and talking about gun show loopholes have seen taxi driver too many times.

End of day? Anyone who even has a gun while in commission of a felony shouldn’t even be back in polite society. And any felon who has one as well. One skirts the “background check” system the same way one does now. Straw purchases. Which is also a felony.

Dec 2018
Florida
Our gun club used to loan weapons for others to try different ones before they bought. No background checks either.
That is a tad different. The owner is the gun club. But you can get in serious trouble as a private citizen if a known felon uses your firearm or even touches it. They aren’t allowed.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
That highlights one the problems with "legally" acquiring guns in the USA, where the law is that the point of control is at the point of acquisition. Your examples shows that two otherwise "responsible" parties won't even follow that rule.

Anyhoo, heres an example of where the "point of control is at the point of acquisition" method did work; even though it was legal for Parkland shooter to buy guns, this seller refused to sell it to him..

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Florida
Well the club doesnt allow felons. You get charged and you are out.
Good. And I will even be fair and state that shit does happen. I have a relative who got the shit beat out of him by a his wife’. Then one day he had enough and swung back, with his fake arm (he was missing an arm). He doesn’t have his rights to firearms anymore. Too bad since he was an avid hunter and pistol shooter too. But I wouldn’t give him the guns back.

There were better ways to handle the crazy bitch. I have another male relative who was beaten in a similar fashion (but he had 2 arms) and he divorced the crazy bitch. Protecting your rights as a free citizen is a serious responsibility. And glad they CYA.