RED STATE-TN PUNISHES victims of domestic abuse/rape forces wearing of ankle bracelet

Jul 2015
Florida
So the victim has to wear the ankle bracelet?? Why not the abuser? SHE gets the scarlet letter? She has to wear it? To work, to her kids school, church, the grocery store? Women are FIRED FROM THEIR JOBS for being victims of domestic abuse. 'Business doesn't want that kind of trouble around.' Higher insurance premiums. Loss productivity.

Explain this to me!! ONLY IN A FUCKING READ STATE!!!

Memphis police put ankle monitor GPS devices on dozens of domestic assault victims

[FONT=&amp]

BOB BRIGHAM
03 NOV 2017 AT 16:30 ET
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

ABC 7 reporter Jude Joffe-Bock wore a GPS ankle bracelet for one week to report the technology (screengrab)
[FONT=&amp]DON'T MISS STORIES. FOLLOW RAW STORY![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Memphis Police Department is under fire for an alleged pattern of misconduct towards female victims of crime. The latest incident involves Sexual Assault Kit Taskforce revealing that dozens of sexual assault and domestic violence victims were outfitted with GPS ankle bracelet

The October 2017 monthly report of the Sexual Assault Kit Taskforce acknowledge that 17 sex crimes victims and 52 domestic violence victims had been fitted with the devices, which are normally used only for those on probation, parole, or out on bail while awaiting trial.

The idea is that victims can be alerted when alleged perpetrators come within a specified distance of the victims.

The Sexual Assault Kit Taskforce was created by the Memphis mayor’s office in 2014 after The New York Times reported that Memphis Police had failed to test 12,000 rape kits.
One of the most jarring examples of the implications of failing to test rape kits involved the case of Meaghan Ybos. Nine years after Ybos had reported a rape and had undergone the invasive evidence collection process known as a rape kit, she learned of a bizarre miscarriage of justice in Shelby County.

After Ybos had alerted police that an attacker described in news accounts resembled the man in here nightmares, Ybos learned that her rape kit had never been tested. After it was tested, police learned Ybos had been victimized by a man who went on to assault at least six additional women.

After realizing that police had botched her case, Ybos founded People for the Enforcement of Rape Laws. It was Ybos who discovered that nearly 70 victims of domestic violence and rape are wearing GPS monitoring devices, as explained in Injustice Today....

[/FONT]

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/me...evices-on-dozens-of-domestic-assault-victims/

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
The GPS devices, which are tracked in real time, “provide an extra measure of safety by alerting victims when alleged perpetrators out on bond come within a certain range of victims who voluntarily wear the device,” taskforce leader Dewanna Smith told me in an October 23 e-mail.
:think:

I don't understand how that works. Is the perp wearing one too?

Jul 2015
Florida
:think:

I don't understand how that works. Is the perp wearing one too?
I can't figure that out. I'm reading elsewhere where it is a choice to wear one. But I'm also reading in a 'JUSTICE' magazine that it wasn't by choice?

Not to mention unprocessed rape kits which always sends flares up to me!

I think this is a dicey proposition. But read for yourselves. I still don't know if the PERP has to wear one...

“If somebody accused of rape is enough of a risk that a victim would need to wear a safety monitoring device,” said Carrie Goldberg, a New York civil rights attorney and pioneer in the field of sexual privacy, “then perhaps it would make more sense to rethink that [perpetrator’s] being on the streets in the first place."

Goldberg, who defends victims of hacking, leaking, and other online assaults, was also concerned that defense attorneys for the accused would be able to subpoena the GPS devices and use that information to discredit victims

“This really seems like a weird way to control victims — and not make the streets safer from criminals,” she said.

https://injusticetoday.com/mixed-signals-gps-monitors-on-memphis-victims-2c62d0ba5a3d

Last edited:

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Such hyperbole from a bat shit source.

The very last paragraph in the Raw Story source:

UPDATE: According to a source, the women were given a GPS device, but it doesn’t have to be worn and police were instructed to tell the women they they could opt-out if they desired. An earlier version of this story used the word ‘scandal’ which has been edited to ‘incident’ for clarification purposes.

The women are not forced to wear the bracelets...they are given to them as a extra precaution for when the perps are released on bail and the bracelet alerts LE if the perp comes within a certain range of the victim. This is voluntary to the victim if she wants to wear it.

https://injusticetoday.com/mixed-signals-gps-monitors-on-memphis-victims-2c62d0ba5a3d

The GPS devices, which are tracked in real time, “provide an extra measure of safety by alerting victims when alleged perpetrators out on bond come within a certain range of victims who voluntarily wear the device,” taskforce leader Dewanna Smith told me in an October 23 e-mail.