Red States Spent $2 Billion in 2015 to Screw the Poor

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
What is this compulsion to punish the poor that conservatives have to the point that they'll screw themselves to accomplish it? :think:

In 2015, according to a survey by the Kaiser Foundation, spending by states that refused to expand Medicaid grew by 6.9 percent. That's pretty close to the historical average. However, spending by states that accepted Medicaid expansion grew by only 3.4 percent.
Obamacare may have increased total Medicaid enrollment and spending, but the feds picked up most of the tab. At the state level, it actually reined in the rate of growth.

In other words, the states that have refused the expansion are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They're actually willing to shell out money just to demonstrate their implacable hatred of Obamacare. How much money? Well, the expansion-refusing states spent $61 billion of their own money on Medicaid in 2014. If that had grown at 3.4 percent instead of 6.9 percent, they would have saved about $2 billion this year.

So they're willing to let $20 billion go down a black hole and pay $2 billion extra in order to prevent Obamacare from helping the needy. It's hard to fathom, isn't it?
Red States Spent $2 Billion in 2015 to Screw the Poor | Mother Jones

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
So, you're complaining about red states spending less government monies than blue states? Is that your complaint?
I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out that red states are cutting their noses to spite their faces because they're so hateful toward the poor and I find very odd and extremely stupid.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Not for anything, but doesn't this go against the rule that red states are taking more from Washington?

Jun 2014
United States
I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out that red states are cutting their noses to spite their faces because they're so hateful toward the poor and I find very odd and extremely stupid.

They'll keep doing it, so long as the poor keep coming back for more. It's the will of God, apparently.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
But they are the poor. They are the ones that vote these politicians in time and time again. We have to understand that at a certain point, their culture and morals mean more to them than anything else and it is possible it will not change.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
But they are the poor. They are the ones that vote these politicians in time and time again. We have to understand that at a certain point, their culture and morals mean more to them than anything else and it is possible it will not change.
One gets what one votes for. When owning a firearm is more important than getting health coverage, nothing more needs to be said.

Jmo