Religion And Politics

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
If you are going to ask the question, consider the larger questions.

Your narrow framing of the topic ignores many possibilities.

And I know Evangelicals and your bent assertion is totally wrong.

When did politics take on the mantle of a quasi religion? (Humanist Manifesto of 1933).

Humanist Manifesto I - American Humanist Association

Environmentalism?

Environmentalism as Religion

True Believers of all variants?

Summary of Eric Hoffer’s, The True Believer

All mass movements generate in their adherents a readiness to die and a proclivity for united action; all of them, irrespective of the doctrine they preach and the program they project, breed fanaticism, enthusiasm, fervent hope, hatred and intolerance; all of them are capable of releasing a powerful flow of activity in certain departments of life; all of them demand blind faith and single-hearted allegiance …

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
If you are going to ask the question, consider the larger questions.

Your narrow framing of the topic ignores many possibilities.

And I know Evangelicals and your bent assertion is totally wrong.

When did politics take on the mantle of a quasi religion? (Humanist Manifesto of 1933).

Humanist Manifesto I - American Humanist Association

Environmentalism?

Environmentalism as Religion

True Believers of all variants?

Summary of Eric Hoffer’s, The True Believer
When Evangelicals became white supremists and went off the rails. They are in the process of trying to destroy anyone who does not accept their flawed belief.

I notice you went off into Human Secularism instead of sticking to the subject of my top post.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
When Evangelicals became white supremists and went off the rails. They are in the process of trying to destroy anyone who does not accept their flawed belief.

I notice you went off into Human Secularism instead of sticking to the subject of my top post.
I have been working for evangelical schools, universities and social services for the past 15 years, assessing candidates and I have not seen a scintilla of evidence of what you are talking about. Nothing. No teacher, leader, coach, administrator, head of school, development director, President, services manager or program manager shows any evidence of being a white supremacist.

Can you find a few fundamentalist churches that pony up to Nazis? Probably. But the people who are in the mainstream don't.

So where is your evidence? Must be a pretty secret movement if I haven't been running into it.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I have been working for evangelical schools, universities and social services for the past 15 years, assessing candidates and I have not seen a scintilla of evidence of what you are talking about. Nothing. No teacher, leader, coach, administrator, head of school, development director, President, services manager or program manager shows any evidence of being a white supremacist.

Can you find a few fundamentalist churches that pony up to Nazis? Probably. But the people who are in the mainstream don't.

So where is your evidence? Must be a pretty secret movement if I haven't been running into it.
Do they support Donald Trump and his immoral agenda?

I think of that era because I wonder what faces the church in America after this one. Many evangelical Christians have embraced "influences alien to the faith:" nationalism without self-restraint, fear of immigrants, a readiness to make social warfare upon the young, stern opposition to science and knowledge in all its forms. The list goes on.
Or take Jesus, who insisted not only that his kingdom was not of this world, but that his followers must pursue its commitments with their whole lives, not just on Sunday mornings. Or St. Paul, whose suspicions of authority as a source of violence have been turned around into praise for the state. We badly misread the Bible if we see in it support for the cruelty now celebrated in the public sphere.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Do they support Donald Trump and his immoral agenda?
Yeah, that would be a topic for an employment assessment. Tell me true reverend, do you support Donald Trump and his immoral agenda?

Politics rarely even comes up. The few examples I can think of were leaders who worked on political campaigns as managers.

These folks are not really about politics. Yes, you can find some who are like Westboro Baptist.

Do you think Evangelicals support those people?

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-fair-that-the-left-keeps-referencing-the-Westboro-Baptist-Church-a-church-with-less-than-40-members

https://www.quora.com/How-do-other-Christians-view-the-Westboro-Baptist-Church-As-extremists-or-shining-beacons-of-good-faith

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Yeah, that would be a topic for an employment assessment. Tell me true reverend, do you support Donald Trump and his immoral agenda?

Politics rarely even comes up. The few examples I can think of were leaders who worked on political campaigns as managers.

These folks are not really about politics. Yes, you can find some who are like Westboro Baptist.

Do you think Evangelicals support those people?

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-fair-that-the-left-keeps-referencing-the-Westboro-Baptist-Church-a-church-with-less-than-40-members

https://www.quora.com/How-do-other-Christians-view-the-Westboro-Baptist-Church-As-extremists-or-shining-beacons-of-good-faith
Then how the hell would you know if they aren't like the "Christians" in the OP?