Religion Hyperbole & Myths

Nov 2015
UK
Religion is man made and so is God. One could say it’s mans first real wrong answer. Can any blame ? No but we can smarten up after 3000 years and admit we are 100s of thousands years old.
Religion came and went in the old world, then writing became available. Now we are stuck with religion written at dawn of written word.
Who cares ? I do because too fucking many don’t educate themselves in fact contrary to religious writing.
How did you become an atheist?

Nov 2015
UK
On a side note, a study was published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. It was by Dr Keise Izuma from the University of York and Colin Holbrook from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

Anyhow, in short, the study used targeted magnetism to frazzle the posterior medial frontal cortex—the part of the he brain associated with detecting and solving problems, i.e., reasoning and logic. The result: belief in God disappeared among more than 30 percent of participants.

It concludes Atheism needs less brain power and that logic exist because the God of the Bible exists.

Interesting stuff.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
On a side note, a study was published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. It was by Dr Keise Izuma from the University of York and Colin Holbrook from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

Anyhow, in short, the study used targeted magnetism to frazzle the posterior medial frontal cortex—the part of the he brain associated with detecting and solving problems, i.e., reasoning and logic. The result: belief in God disappeared among more than 30 percent of participants.

It concludes Atheism needs less brain power and that logic exist because the God of the Bible exists.

Interesting stuff.
Your conclusion (in bold) is irrational and incorrect.

Quoted from the study: "When we disrupted the brain region that usually helps detect and respond to threats, we saw a less negative, less ideologically motivated reaction to the critical author and his opinions..."These findings are very striking, and consistent with the idea that brain mechanisms that evolved for relatively basic threat-response functions are repurposed to also produce ideological reactions. However, more research is needed to understand exactly how and why religious beliefs and ethnocentric attitudes were reduced in this experiment."

Belief in God and prejudice reduced by directing magnetic energy into the brain

Your interpretation of the study is facile and does not follow in a logical sense. One could argue more convincingly that to follow what one is taught based upon nothing more than belief requires less brain power than that required to question the illogical nature of the dogma and tales.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldGaffer
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Odin would be in Asgard, home of the Aesir … Midgard is the human realm, Earth.
Well, damn, I am already a heretic subject to being kicked out of my new religion because of false beliefs! I will form a sect of Midgard believers and we will denounce all the Asgard purists! No Valhalla for you!

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Mormonism has been exposed as a pseudo-Christian cult.
Really? Tell that to the Mormons, because they think you are full of shit and your beliefs are dooming your ass to hell! We can all play the "belief" game, and they are like opinions and assholes, everybody has one, including you.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Well, damn, I am already a heretic subject to being kicked out of my new religion because of false beliefs! I will form a sect of Midgard believers and we will denounce all the Asgard purists! No Valhalla for you!
Valhalla is also in Asgard … it's for warriors. I guess I am a 'warrior', of sorts … my entire life has been an uphill battle ...

Nov 2015
UK
It has always appeared to me that everyone is born an atheist, since babies don't practice religions at all until after they have been taught to practice one.
By that definition, religion could never have started. So your statement is logically inaccurate.

Some time ago, I did some self study on religion and I found a professor that wrote a book where he covered religion being inherent to humans. I actually e-mailed him and he e-mailed me back with a link where I could buy his book. Unfortunately, years have passed and I don't have the information at hand. I'm busy hunting the info out.

Last edited: