Religious Freedom and Circumcision? Where do the issues Intersect and How

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Speaking as someone who was circumcised, I'm rather glad that the procedure was performed well-before I developed the capacity for long-term memory.
From what I have been told it is VERY painful. My best friend from HS did not circumcise her son...it was a earthy phase she was going through at the time in the 80's. Her son ended up getting it done when he was 12 due to multiple infections. He also did not keep the skin pushed back and it over grew around the urethral opening. This whole thing was new to her and she was never instructed on how to teach him to care for it. He howled in pained during his recovery and she felt awful for putting him through that at 12. I worked with a young guy in our sales department back in the day and he had to get it done at 28 years old...same thing, infections. He missed an entire week of work due to this procedure. Said it was the most painful thing he could ever imagine.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
From what I have been told it is VERY painful. My best friend from HS did not circumcise her son...it was a earthy phase she was going through at the time in the 80's. Her son ended up getting it done when he was 12 due to multiple infections. He also did not keep the skin pushed back and it over grew around the urethral opening. This whole thing was new to her and she was never instructed on how to teach him to care for it. He howled in pained during his recovery and she felt awful for putting him through that at 12. I worked with a young guy in our sales department back in the day and he had to get it done at 28 years old...same thing, infections. He missed an entire week of work due to this procedure. Said it was the most painful thing he could ever imagine.
Adult males who convert to Judaism have to have it done.

Nov 2014
Florida
It's totally nonsense to speak from a male or female circumcision. Circumcision is always male - Women are not able to be circumcised. Reason: They just simple don't have a penis with foreskin. Female genital mutilation is a very serious crime.
I never said "female circumcision". I said "male genital mutilation". Why is that not also a serious crime?

Nov 2014
Florida
No, it is not. Look at how sexual functioning is affected. In the female much of it is destroyed, and many other medical problems are common. Saying they are the same does not make them the same.
Well that depends on exactly what procedure is followed. There are varying degrees of FGM. I'm simply pointing out that MGM happens routinely for no reason and no one questions it, much less declares it "a very serious crime".

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Like I said; I was present in the room when my son was circumcised. He cried (not shrieked; cried) for about four or five minutes, and then he slept. As I said, the mohel was highly skilled, and used topical anesthetic.

Oddly, I have a video of my daughter having her first bath. Holy shit did she shriek. The water was warm, the towels were soft - and she was shrieking like a cat being skinned for a solid five minutes. Then she calmed down - took a deep breath, and resumed, only much louder. That's when my wife told me to put away the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people