Religious-Right Homophobes Whine That They're Being Oppressed

Sep 2011
Western NY and Geneva, CH
From "Religious-Right Homophobes Whine That They're Being Oppressed," by Joshua Holland:

"Frank’s day job is leadership seminars for Fortune 500 companies. He also runs a ministry and has written a book against same-sex marriage titled Correct, Not Politically Correct: How Same-sex Marriage Hurts Everyone.

"For many years Frank Turek has done seminars for Cisco, among many other companies. A student who attended his class Googled his name, found out he opposed same-sex marriage and said “I’m going to get Frank fired because he doesn’t represent Cisco values.” And this student succeeded.

"A few weeks later Frank Turek was told by a Bank of America executive that his book opposing gay marriage meant he would not be asked to do a seminar again at Bank of America."
Religious-Right Homophobes Whine That They're Being Oppressed | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

I find myself wondering how many of those who would assert an employer's right to fire a "fag" or a landlord's right to evict "a couple of homos" would also shake a fist at this guy's former clients for "discriminating" against him.

Reactions: Thx1138
Sep 2011
Western NY and Geneva, CH
I'm not expressing disagreement with their choice, I'm expressing bemusement with what is (to me) obvious hypocrisy on the part of the bigot.

sparsely

Former Staff
Jan 2011
Cow, TX
Perhaps, this company doesn't want to hire a homophobe to train it's employees. Their choice.
I'm for gay marriage myself...well actually I'm for the removal of the government from the "institution" of marriage altogether...nevertheless, it is troll-bait spin bullshit to call anyone who opposes gay marriage a homophobe. Only weak-minded people with no argument resort to demonizing a person because of their position while disregarding the reasoning behind their position.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
These days employers use a persons character to determine job suitability all the time. They check applicants credit, talk to neighbors, work history, criminal record; the whole nine yards. Strictly speaking, as a matter of law, an opponent of same-sex marriages is not a protected class. Sexual orientation, however, is. Nevertheless, firing a person simply because you don't agree with their political beliefs, or refusing to employ them, may otherwise create a cause of action, under some other employment practices law. I'm not sure. As far as seminars, I would think that Bank of America is concerned about appearances. I agree with Sky on this, that's their right.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
It is also B of A's right to decide who they want to give motivational speeches.

Let's suppose David Duke applied for a job at B of A customer service and told them he was just fine with the company, accept for his black co-workers and customers...

He has a perfect right to his views, but they have a right not to hire him for his views also.

Thx :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
From "Religious-Right Homophobes Whine That They're Being Oppressed," by Joshua Holland:

Religious-Right Homophobes Whine That They're Being Oppressed | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

I find myself wondering how many of those who would assert an employer's right to fire a "fag" or a landlord's right to evict "a couple of homos" would also shake a fist at this guy's former clients for "discriminating" against him.
Yeah, the full irony of it is sweet.

There is nothing better than seeing a slum-lord out on the street, a cheater getting taken and a bigot who feels they are being discriminated againt.

Thx :)