Religiously Knowledgeable Americans Rate Evangelicals Lowest

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
This refers to a Pew poll as detailed in Christianity Today: Americans Who Know Religion Best Hold Worse Views of Evangelicals

It's shocking how few American Christians know the basics of their own faith. Evangelicals are also less likely to know personally members of others faiths (though young Evangelicals are more likely than older ones). But among Americans who answered more basic questions about religion correctly, Evangelicals had the lowest approval ratings, being underwater by 10 points compared to those who had less knowledge. The more people of any (or no) faith knew about the Bible and other faiths, the better they liked Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, and Atheists, but they warmed less to Evangelicals. Evangelicals were the only group whose numbers were underwater in this way.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Oh, and except for Jews, Agnostics and Athiests scored HIGHER on this quiz testing knowledge of religion generally than others. And there's this quotation from a dean at the Fuller Theological Seminary:
“The popular notion, in the public at large but also among evangelicals themselves, is that evangelicals are rather convinced about their being ‘right’ and other religionists being ‘wrong,’and from this perspective, it is surely understandable that those who feel like they are being labeled as wrong would tend to view the (evangelical) labelers unfavorably,” said Yong at Fuller. “I’d be less concerned about improving reputation for its own sake, but for the sake of the gospel.”

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I guess I never understood why many somehow felt evangelicals were "smarter" on religion than anybody else. I guess its because they tend to spend a lot of time in church but that doesnt mean its spent learning. It seems a lot of time is spent listening to people opine on what they view as right or wrong. The most knowledgeable person I met on religion was an atheist professor who could recite passages and knew most of the literature from many different faiths.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
I guess I never understood why many somehow felt evangelicals were "smarter" on religion than anybody else. I guess its because they tend to spend a lot of time in church but that doesnt mean its spent learning. It seems a lot of time is spent listening to people opine on what they view as right or wrong. The most knowledgeable person I met on religion was an atheist professor who could recite passages and knew most of the literature from many different faiths.
Evangelicals and fundamentalists are poorly educated in general. Tent revivals by traveling preachers during the Great Depression and Dust Bowl years taught futurism, literalism and the Scofield heresy. Hal Lindsey and Tim Lahaye gave this poor scholarship a boost in the 1970s and 1980s.

Nov 2008
Washington state
This just proves that knowledge isn't what makes you religious. Living what you believe makes you religious . Be a doer of the word, not a hearer of the word only

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Who cares which group "knows religion best?" Satan himself "Knows religion."

The most important thing is "are your sins forgiven?"

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Who cares which group "knows religion best?" Satan himself "Knows religion."

The most important thing is "are your sins forgiven?"
That's rather selfish, isn't it? Salvation of an individual believer is the BEGINNING of the Evangelical Christian faith, not its only facet. You really think the only important thing about your religion (or anyone else's) is what's in it for you?

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
That's rather selfish, isn't it? Salvation of an individual believer is the BEGINNING of the Evangelical Christian faith, not its only facet. You really think the only important thing about your religion (or anyone else's) is what's in it for you?
Salvation of God's people is glorifying to God.
John 17
Jesus Prays to Be Glorified
17 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.