Remember Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign on childhood obesity?

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Despite all the pooh-poohing and angst posted by certain members of this forum about Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign it seems she was ahead of the curve. Now corporations are jumping in with similar programs to help cut health costs with preventative care.

To cut insurance costs, companies help workers get healthy
The upward trend in health care costs can't all be blamed on growing doctors' bills. So, employers have started to provide on-site medical visits, access to gyms, chronic-care plans, smoking-cessation programs and even discounts for those who buy a banana rather than a cookie.

For an employer, costs can be as much as 40% higher in one year for someone who is overweight because of all the issues associated with obesity, including diabetes, back problems, asthma, depression and heart disease, said Kenneth Thorpe, who co-directs Emory University's Center on Health Outcomes and Quality.

"Between 8% and 20% of health care costs is due to the persistent rise in obesity," Thorpe said. "Wellness could make a difference."

As an example, he cited a study he published in the journal Health Affairs about an evidence-based program that reduced type 2 diabetes cases by 71% in Medicare beneficiaries older than 60. It could save Medicare $2.3 billion over the next 10 years if pre-diabetic beneficiaries were enrolled, Thorpe said.

Aug 2010
I just wish someone would give the First Lady a mirror.
Aside from your personal dislike for the First Lady, any comment on this problem with our nation?

As most professional military personnel know, especially officers, obesity is a national security problem. Just because some nutjobs dislike that "Lyin' African Muslim" in the White House doesn't negate the security and health issues facing our nation.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Despite all the pooh-poohing and angst posted by certain members of this forum about Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign it seems she was ahead of the curve. Now corporations are jumping in with similar programs to help cut health costs with preventative care.

To cut insurance costs, companies help workers get healthy
Ya know, I'd have no problem with an employer that wanted to assist me with a healthy diet. I'm hardly obese, but I'm an African-American and I worry about hypertension.

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
Aside from your personal dislike for the First Lady, any comment on this problem with our nation?

As most professional military personnel know, especially officers, obesity is a national security problem. Just because some nutjobs dislike that "Lyin' African Muslim" in the White House doesn't negate the security and health issues facing our nation.
I don't know the First Lady enough to truly dislike her, but she should be leading by example and that mirror would help her figure out where or what needs work......weight reduction wise, that is. If she can get our kids out of the house and exercising, good for her. She ought start with an exercise program of her own......and get it in the news.

Aug 2010
I don't know the First Lady enough to truly dislike her, but she should be leading by example and that mirror would help her figure out where or what needs work......weight reduction wise, that is. If she can get our kids out of the house and exercising, good for her. She ought start with an exercise program of her own......and get it in the news.
Speaking of leading by example, if a person displays the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, shouldn't they also lead by being an exemplary model Marine Corps core values?

As for the First Lady, while I agree leadership by example is the best leadership, just because she's a little heavy, even for a 47 year old, doesn't mean she isn't trying to lead by example. The "Let's Move" program, evaluated on its own merits and not your dislike of heavy black Democrat women, is a good idea. Not just for the sake of the kid's but for our nation. As mentioned before, this is a national security issue. Anyone who tries to play partisan politics or inject racism into a national security issue is not only working against the best interests of the United States, but possibly seeking to deliberately sabotage our national security. If so, that's treason.

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
Speaking of leading by example, if a person displays the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, shouldn't they also lead by being an exemplary model Marine Corps core values?
I don't take advice from a phony marine.

Aug 2010
I don't take advice from a phony marine.
Stu, you can lie, attack, flame, troll, bitch, report, complain and do anything else you want, but what you can't do is make people forget the fact that you violate Marine Corps values with almost every post. This is why I always include the links so readers can understand what those values are and compare them to your behavior.

What you think of me or what you accuse me of being cannot change the fact you say one thing but do another. The subject was about the "Let's Move" campaign and comparing it to how corporations are realizing they can save costs by promoting preventive care measures with their employees. So far you've made three posts of which none have been on topic. You posted two flaming the First Lady and one flaming me. Obviously your conduct is unbecoming of an officer and you should be ashamed. Unfortunately, I think you are incapable of doing so. You are a fraud, sir, and I am disgusted that you are claiming to be a member of the Marine Corps much less claiming to have been a former officer.

Reactions: Dr Sampson Simpson

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
[warning] Please do not hound or harass members about their military service.[/warning]

Reactions: Steam Heat