Remove Politics But Add Both Sides: How Are You?

Oct 2013
USA
I know that on a political board no one should expect anything but political debate but just for this moment in time and this post: Seriously - NO POLITICS if you political addicts can do that. Are you down about the non-stop chaos of disasters and mass killers attacking innocent people? I know all we can do in real life is hug our own and wait it out but this has to be taking a larger toll on society itself. There is too much anger and too much chaos not to impact each and every one of us. At what point do we tune out or decide to be kinder to one another? Or do we just get angrier? How do you deal with it?

I know I am exhausted by the constant chaos and truly hope you are all hanging in there knowing this country goes through cycles that come and go. If it gets worse maybe PH will convert to a support group. We can lay on a cyber couch and have the most calming and logical poster act as the PH cyber shrink. Do we have anyone that fits this criteria? No? Well then lets get back to politics. I'll start with "Jane you ignorant slut!" :boxing:

Reactions: 5 people
Jul 2015
Florida
I know that on a political board no one should expect anything but political debate but just for this moment in time and this post: Seriously - NO POLITICS if you political addicts can do that. Are you down about the non-stop chaos of disasters and mass killers attacking innocent people? I know all we can do in real life is hug our own and wait it out but this has to be taking a larger toll on society itself. There is too much anger and too much chaos not to impact each and every one of us. At what point do we tune out or decide to be kinder to one another? Or do we just get angrier? How do you deal with it?

I know I am exhausted by the constant chaos and truly hope you are all hanging in there knowing this country goes through cycles that come and go. If it gets worse maybe PH will convert to a support group. We can lay on a cyber couch and have the most calming and logical poster act as the PH cyber shrink. Do we have anyone that fits this criteria? No? Well then lets get back to politics. I'll start with "Jane you ignorant slut!" :boxing:
I've always found that HUMOR in the midst of chaos, tension, and outright FEAR ameliorates or maybe it just DISTRACTS. So MIN. you are off to a good start.

Now for the chicken or egg question. (I've had this conversation several times with several people). Is Trump's chaotic governing style, his frenetic moods and twittershitstorms getting us sucked into the chaos that surrounds him? Or is it the multi source, rapidity of REAL TIME 24/7 media that reports on it?

I will say this! If there ain't nothing there, there's NOTHING to report. NO MSM doesn't make shit up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Florida

You do know about this book that came out this week don't you?

The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President Hardcover – October 3, 2017

by Bandy X. Lee (Author), & 29 more

Amazon book review....

The consensus view of two dozen psychiatrists and psychologists that Trump is dangerously mentally ill and that he presents a clear and present danger to the nation and our own mental health.

This is not normal.

Since the start of Donald Trump’s presidential run, one question has quietly but urgently permeated the observations of concerned citizens: What is wrong with him? Constrained by the American Psychiatric Association’s “Goldwater rule,” which inhibits mental health professionals from diagnosing public figures they have not personally examined, many of those qualified to answer this question have shied away from discussing the issue at all. The public has thus been left to wonder whether he is mad, bad, or both.

In THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP, twenty-seven psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health experts argue that, in Mr. Trump’s case, their moral and civic “duty to warn” America supersedes professional neutrality. They then explore Trump’s symptoms and potentially relevant diagnoses to find a complex, if also dangerously mad, man.

Philip Zimbardo and Rosemary Sword, for instance, explain Trump’s impulsivity in terms of “unbridled and extreme present hedonism.” Craig Malkin writes on pathological narcissism and politics as a lethal mix. Gail Sheehy, on a lack of trust that exceeds paranoia. Lance Dodes, on sociopathy. Robert Jay Lifton, on the “malignant normality” that can set in everyday life if psychiatrists do not speak up.

His madness is catching, too. From the trauma people have experienced under the Trump administration to the cult-like characteristics of his followers, he has created unprecedented mental health consequences across our nation and beyond.

https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Case-Donald-Trump-Psychiatrists/dp/1250179459

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2013
USA
I've always found that HUMOR in the midst of chaos, tension, and outright FEAR ameliorates or maybe it just DISTRACTS. So MIN. you are off to a good start.

Now for the chicken or egg question. (I've had this conversation several times with several people). Is Trump's chaotic governing style, his frenetic moods and twittershitstorms getting us sucked into the chaos that surrounds him? Or is it the multi source, rapidity of REAL TIME 24/7 media that reports on it?

I will say this! If there ain't nothing there, there's NOTHING to report. NO MSM doesn't make shit up.
It is a good question. I don't know the answer but I do know Obama was the leader when these same slaughters happened. I can also say that the 24 hour news contributes in terms of an almost nit-picky way one would expect to see on a political board and not on news as we once knew it. I think it impacts all of us in some way. The fact that we are all political wonks also contributes and I wonder how society in general is doing. I know political boards get the frustration out but what toll does that have on each of us?

While Trump is the current president we may want to blame, these incidents are not in his control nor were they in Obama or Bush' control so it is easy to remove politics from what we are experiencing and seeing except where we each may be frustrated with politics already. I don't know what the answer is.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It is a good question. I don't know the answer but I do know Obama was the leader when these same slaughters happened. I can also say that the 24 hour news contributes in terms of an almost nit-picky way one would expect to see on a political board and not on news as we once knew it. I think it impacts all of us in some way. The fact that we are all political wonks also contributes and I wonder how society in general is doing. I know political boards get the frustration out but what toll does that have on each of us?

While Trump is the current president we may want to blame, these incidents are not in his control nor were they in Obama or Bush' control so it is easy to remove politics from what we are experiencing and seeing except where we each may be frustrated with politics already. I don't know what the answer is.
I have said this before Trump and I think its true. People in general for whatever reasons, fall into this odd way where up is down and down is up. It doesn't make sense but it happens every 75-100 years. It takes a decade or so to get over. I call it a funk. Its why if you follow social media, you see people saying Kanye West or "The Rock" or Mark Cuban needs to run for president, they will fix everything. I think it stems from a long period of status quo, where people feel nothing is getting done so why not a Donald Trump or Kid Rock? Whats the worst that could happen?

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2013
USA
I have said this before Trump and I think its true. People in general for whatever reasons, fall into this odd way where up is down and down is up. It doesn't make sense but it happens every 75-100 years. It takes a decade or so to get over. I call it a funk. Its why if you follow social media, you see people saying Kanye West or "The Rock" or Mark Cuban needs to run for president, they will fix everything. I think it stems from a long period of status quo, where people feel nothing is getting done so why not a Donald Trump or Kid Rock? Whats the worst that could happen?
As a society in bad times we can get politically suicidal but the recent decade mentality of electing a pizza CEO or a singer is not a norm. It may be a final straw. That national mood that is cyclical is related to the economy. Recessions and recoveries are slow drawn out processes and as the economy goes, so goes the national mood. That said, the reality of environmental issues like hurricanes and mass killings as well as a recovery not yet being felt by middle class can bring on a national funk of any magnitude. No president can avoid the kickback when society is uneasy. Bush, Obama, Trump all have that in common. The president who is elected in a more stable economic phase fares better when the public feels secure. I would say that both Obama and Trump dealt with actual improvements in the economy and touted it but no one listens when it has not reached middle class which continues to shrink. Add together a public who is insecure and inundated with bad news, weather disasters, global insecurity, and mass murders and it can be a sensory overload. I think that combination may all bleed together for a national anger.

May 2012
By the wall
Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Shit happens.

Of course they are horrible events and you feel sorry for the people involved but there are always going to be disasters and strife.

Really no point in worrying about it too much.

Just deal with them as they come up and move on.

May 2012
By the wall
As a society in bad times we can get politically suicidal but the recent decade mentality of electing a pizza CEO or a singer is not a norm. It may be a final straw. That national mood that is cyclical is related to the economy. Recessions and recoveries are slow drawn out processes and as the economy goes, so goes the national mood. That said, the reality of environmental issues like hurricanes and mass killings as well as a recovery not yet being felt by middle class can bring on a national funk of any magnitude. No president can avoid the kickback when society is uneasy. Bush, Obama, Trump all have that in common. The president who is elected in a more stable economic phase fares better when the public feels secure. I would say that both Obama and Trump dealt with actual improvements in the economy and touted it but no one listens when it has not reached middle class which continues to shrink. Add together a public who is insecure and inundated with bad news, weather disasters, global insecurity, and mass murders and it can be a sensory overload. I think that combination may all bleed together for a national anger.
Lol, you said not to bring politics into it and look at you doing exactly that.