Rep. Anthony Weiner Retains Lawyer Amid Frenzy Over Lewd Twitter Photo

Apr 2011
Under your skin
Rep. Anthony Weiner reportedly has retained counsel after claiming that his Twitter account was hacked, allowing somebody to send a lewd photo under his name to a college student in Seattle.

Weiner told The New York Post that his office has "retained an attorney who is going to give us advice on this." After reports first surfaced on the photo, Weiner spokesman Dave Arnold said the congressman's accounts were "obviously hacked."

"He doesn't know the person named by the hacker, and we will be consulting on what steps to take next," he said.

Weiner later told the Post the incident was a "prank."

The U.S. Capitol Police so far have not opened an investigation into the matter.

The photo in question showed a close-up shot of a man's bulging underwear. It was deleted within minutes of being sent. Breitbart's BigGovernment.com first reported that it was tweeted to a Seattle woman, later identified as Gennette Cordova.

Cordova, a college student, issued a lengthy statement to The New York Daily News on Sunday saying that while she is a "fan" of the New York Democratic congressman, she has never met him and has never had "any inappropriate exchanges" with him. She lambasted those drawing attention to the incident.

On Monday, she was unclear on whether she thought hackers were behind the image.

"I do not back, nor do I doubt, any hacking theory," she wrote Monday.

Whether the work of a prankster, hacker or somebody else, the incident has set off an online frenzy of charges and denials.

Andrew Breitbart, who was first to report the picture, defended the story and his website, saying BigGovernment.com has followed the developments fairly and accurately. He suggested two possible explanations for the picture.

"What we know is that a link to a lewd photo was published from a sitting Congressman's Twitter account, directed at a female recipient, whom he was 'following,' but visible to everyone. Two broad possibilities exist: (1) the Congressman's Twitter account (and perhaps other accounts) were hacked, or (2) the Congressman or someone with authorized access to his Twitter account sent the photo," he wrote.

He called for an investigation into whether Weiner's account was indeed hacked and into "developing reports of young women among the relatively few people Congressman Weiner 'followed' on Twitter."

Twitter user Dan Wolfe, a self-identified conservative who apparently jump-started the Weiner frenzy by re-tweeting the lewd image, insists he did not hack Weiner's account.

"Didn't fake or hack anything. All real," he wrote on his Twitter account Sunday. Wolfe repeatedly called for an investigation, saying he has "nothing to hide" and that an investigation would point to Weiner.

Cordova also tried to vindicate Wolfe, taking to her Twitter page to say that while Wolfe is a "nuisance" and a "very annoying human being," she didn't think he was behind the incident.

Rep. Anthony Weiner Retains Lawyer Amid Frenzy Over Lewd Twitter Photo - FoxNews.com

That's his story and he is sticking to it. Should be interesting to see how this plays out

Reactions: Mr. Neo-Con
Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Hm... this story has real possibilities.

I mean, think about it....

Yep, I'm starting to like this a lot!

I can see it now - fifty years from now, the history books will read like this: "a group of concerned citizens, frustrated with the apparent lack of effect of their votes, got together and collectively hacked the Twitter accounts of 337 Congressmen and 71 Senators that they had identified as corrupt. Within days, 102 congressmen and 17 Senators had resigned, and the rest voted for the enhancement of internet privacy laws".

Suddenly I'm starting to understand how a group like "anonymous" can do humanity a genuine service instead of stealing a few measly credit cards.

:smiley_ROFLMAO:

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I find it amazing that after his Twitter account was hacked, Rep. Weiner had the l33t skillz to hack right back into it.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I love how "my twitter account was hacked" is the go to excuse for any celebrity that drunk tweets something that they shouldn't have.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
And in the latest development, Mr. Weiner says "it could be him".

Rep. Anthony Weiner struggled to explain how a picture of somebody's bulging underwear briefly appeared on his Twitter account, claiming in a back-to-back string of interviews that he was clearly hacked -- but hinting the photograph could have been an image of him.

"I have photographs. I don't know what photographs are out there in the world of me," he said in one cable news interview, asked whether he'd ever snapped a photo like that of himself.

In another interview, Weiner acknowledged "it could be" the case that one of his private photos spilled onto the Internet. Or, he said, one could have been manipulated or pulled in from "somewhere else."

Talking briefly to reporters outside his office Thursday morning, the congressman made clear he was not interested in sitting down for more questions.

"I made it very clear I did not send that picture, that my Twitter account had been hacked, and the prank apparently has been successful. But after hours, almost 11 hours of answering questions ... today, I'm going to have to get back to work," Weiner said.

In interview after interview Wednesday, Weiner insisted he did not send the photo but at the same time could not say whether the photo was his.

Asked by Fox News about the origin of the image, Weiner said: "We're concerned about saying anything definitively."

Asked the same question again, Weiner snapped: "You know ... we've been sitting down for a brief moment and you're already asking if there are pictures of me in my drawers."

Weiner sought to downplay the entire incident and put it to rest after days of intense coverage. The New York Democratic congressman has raised questions by not calling in the Capitol Police or other federal authorities to investigate what he claims is some combination of a hack and a prank.

A former Justice Department computer crimes prosecutor said it would not cost much to request an investigation from the FBI. The former official said if Weiner had called the FBI when the story broke, the public would already know where the Tweet originated.

But Weiner indicated he was not interested in making a big, federal case out of the matter.
Rather, he said he's called in an Internet security firm and a law firm to take a "hard look" at the incident and find out what happened.

"I know for a fact that my account was hacked," Weiner told Fox News. "I can definitively say that I did not send this."

Weiner's explanations on Thursday started to draw criticism from Capitol Hill. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., who told Fox News that people "are sick of seeing their elected officials tied up in scandals" and questioned Weiner's claims.

"There's a lot of explaining going on without a lot of clarity," Cantor said.

The photo in question was deleted within minutes of being sent. BigGovernment.com first reported that it was tweeted to a Seattle woman, later identified as Gennette Cordova.

Rep. Anthony Weiner Struggles to Explain Origin of Lewd Twitter Photo - FoxNews.com

I will love it when this jerk takes a fall. Good riddance!

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
Crotch photo puts US congressman in pickle

Crotch photo puts US congressman in pickle - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK (AFP) – A US congressman sharing the same name as a common slang word for penis was in a growing pickle Thursday over a photo of his crotch sent to a young female fan.

Anthony Weiner, a fast-talking New York Democrat seen as frontrunner to become next mayor of the Big Apple, found himself the butt of innumerable jokes -- and allegations that he may have lied in his desperate attempt to bury the scandal.

It started with news that a lewd close-up of a man in underpants had been sent from Weiner's Twitter account to Gennette Nicole Cordova, a 21-year-old student in Seattle.

Claims by Weiner -- whose name is pronounced the same as the sausages used in hotdogs, and also is a synonym for the male sexual organ -- that he'd been the victim of a "prank" failed to stem intense media questioning.

Late Wednesday, Weiner dug himself deeper by saying in TV interviews that he could not exclude the crotch shot actually was of him -- even if he had not sent it out over Twitter.

"There are -- I have photographs. I don't know what photographs are out there in the world of me," he told CNN. "I can't say with certitude," he told MSNBC.

That attempt to wriggle out of the bulging scandal prompted jeers from the US media Thursday and late-night comedians.

"Battle of the bulge. Weiner exposed," the New York Post splashed across its front page.

Political humorist Stephen Colbert deadpanned that the non-denial left "only two options here. Either Anthony Weiner has too many photos of his junk to keep track of, or 'certitude' is his nickname for his penis."

Others pointed to possible legal implications for Weiner if his initial claim to have been the victim of a crime proves made-up.

"I think he's in trouble," former New York mayor Ed Koch said on NY1 television.

Weiner faces reelection to the US House of Representatives in November next year and could run to replace Mayor Michael Bloomberg in New York in 2013.