Rep Cheri Bustos (D-IL) takes on progressives

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Cheri Bustos isn’t afraid of the insurgent left. The chairwoman of House Democrats’ campaign arm has found herself in a very messy — and public — spat with progressives over the past week and a half.

But the Midwestern moderate is refusing to budge, despite drawing ire from prominent progressives like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who has encouraged her millions of social media followers to halt donations to the campaign committee in retaliation.

At issue is a new Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee policy that prohibits Democratic consultants and vendors from working for a primary challenger to a sitting incumbent if they want the lucrative business of the DCCC. That stance was considered an unwritten rule for the party, but Bustos decided to codify it at a time when the prospect of left-wing primary challenges looms large among House Democrats. Despite the outcry from some progressives, many Democrats have rallied behind Bustos — approaching her on the floor and privately commending her for being willing to confront the left wing of the caucus when others have cowered, fearful of becoming the Twitter target du jour.

She is the first line of defense in Democrat’s battle to hold onto the House, tasked with protecting more than two dozen seats in districts won by President Donald Trump, including her own. Democrats in the centrist New Democratic faction and more conservative Blue Dog Caucus are pleased with the Illinois Democrat’s show of force against primary challenges. Progressive Caucus leaders Mark Pocan and Pramila Jayapal have vocally condemned the policy change, calling it “undemocratic” and an effort to “blackball” talented consultants.

“If we’re going to be successful as Democrats, and going into 2020 with a very, very fragile majority, we got to be on the same team,” said Bustos, adding that the new policy ensures the DCCC will spend “every cent we can to hang on to our majority and not work against ourselves.”

Cheri Bustos takes on the new left

Apr 2012
She's protecting the status quo, business as usual, ignore the majority of voters, foundation of the present Democratic leadership.

If voters don't think the party is working for them it means voting the lesser of two evils. I think folks are tired of that and it showed in 2016.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
She's protecting the status quo, business as usual, ignore the majority of voters, foundation of the present Democratic leadership.

If voters don't think the party is working for them it means voting the lesser of two evils. I think folks are tired of that and it showed in 2016.
Not sure the majority of voters are progressive. Assume most are moderates, left or right of center.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
This is a move that's all about protecting the party, which is her job, while it does nothing to make the country better, which as an elected representative is also her job.

Apr 2012
Not sure the majority of voters are progressive. Assume most are moderates, left or right of center.
Maybe. But I think the majority favors progressive policies. 70% of voters favor getting insurance companies out of healthcare. Even majority of Republicans.

The policies of what the media calls the far left are even more acceptable when they are explained without the right wing spin of the corporate media.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Maybe. But I think the majority favors progressive policies. 70% of voters favor getting insurance companies out of healthcare. Even majority of Republicans.

The policies of what the media calls the far left are even more acceptable when they are explained without the right wing spin of the corporate media.
I think its fair to say that most people dont want to be labeled. I know republicans who favor single payer since they lived abroad or whatever but would bite your head off if you called them progressives. Same with some pro life democrats who dont want to be called conservatives. If we stopped categorizing people we might find out the ideas themselves have a lot of support.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I think its fair to say that most people dont want to be labeled. I know republicans who favor single payer since they lived abroad or whatever but would bite your head off if you called them progressives. Same with some pro life democrats who dont want to be called conservatives. If we stopped categorizing people we might find out the ideas themselves have a lot of support.
It's when people stop focusing on what teams they assign themselves to that they find out they have a lot in common with those who they're told are their enemies.

That is not advantageous to political parties though.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
It's when people stop focusing on what teams they assign themselves to that they find out they have a lot in common with those who they're told are their enemies.
So true. I cant even begin to understand how we got where we are. Had no one ever been in a different political side than their parents? Spouse? Friends? When did we decide we all live in a vacuum and cant talk to the other side? Also that if our ideas dont fit in that political box that we should be case aside as "fence sitters." Its bizarre.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

That is not advantageous to political parties though.
As we have been seeing daily on PH, many on the right see themselves as being on a religious crusade against evil liberalism, how do you compromise with that?