Rep Clyburn: Buttigieg being gay will be an issue for black voters

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Some polls have Buttigieg at less than 1% with black voters. Will this hold or change?

Pete Buttigieg said he was elected mayor of South Bend, Ind., despite the prevalence of "socially conservative Democrats," as he responded to questions about whether older African American voters are uncomfortable voting for a gay candidate.

Buttigieg's comments come after South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn (D) suggested in a separate interview with CNN that older African American voters are uncomfortable voting for a gay candidate. Buttigieg likened South Carolina voters to the residents of South Bend, Ind., characterizing them as “socially conservative Democrats.” “And at the end of the day I think the reason why the people in my community moved past that and reelected me, and the reason why we’re going to be able to earn votes in every part of the country, is because elections are about this, they’re about voters asking a question: ‘How will my life be different if you get elected versus somebody else?’ ” Buttigieg said in an interview Monday with CNN.

Buttigieg's comments after CNN's Dana Bash asked Clyburn Sunday about an internal Buttigieg campaign memo that concluded Buttigieg's sexuality was a barrier for some African American voters.

"Is Mayor Buttigieg's struggle in the state of South Carolina because he's gay?" Bash asked. Clyburn said “there’s no question” that Buttigieg’s sexuality is an issue for older African American voters.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Interesting dilemma.

Doubt that any significant volume of the black vote is going to be switching over to Trump. But the issue could easily have an impact on turnout at the polls at a general election.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Interesting dilemma.

Doubt that any significant volume of the black vote is going to be switching over to Trump. But the issue could easily have an impact on turnout at the polls at a general election.

Trump will get more of the black male vote.

Reactions: Hognoxious
Sep 2016
My own world
Probably it is more difficult for many older black men to accept (in general) if another man is gay. It could be due to upbringing and such. Didn't even Obama have some hesitancy toward marriage equality and all that before becoming President? Joe Biden likes to say that he was outspoken about the issue before Obama and didn't wait until Obama came on board to support of it for him to support it. Just saying,

Sep 2016
My own world
Sure he will, more of the black male vote than who? Maybe David Duke if he were running against him directly. That's the only way I think Trump would get more of the black vote than another candidate.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Clyburn knows there is no way Mayor Pete will be selected as the Candidate to challenge Trump.

So what's up with the homophobic comment?

Better yet ....

Where's the Left's outrage for such a comment?

Could you imagine the backlash here at PH had a member posted such a comment?

May 2016
Florida
If Buttigieg makes it to the general, I doubt if black people will hesitate to pull the lever for him, considering Trump has broken more “religious” covenants in the last hour than Buttgieg has in his lifetime.

May 2016
Florida
Sure he will, more of the black male vote than who? Maybe David Duke if he were running against him directly. That's the only way I think Trump would get more of the black vote than another candidate.
I don’t know, at least David has real hair and normal sized hands....

Reactions: Eve1

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
will you please just stop with this nonsense . The majority of black voters think Trump is a racist . That doesn't mean none will vote him. But, claiming he'll get the more of the black vote than any Democratic s bull.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Probably it is more difficult for many older black men to accept (in general) if another man is gay. It could be due to upbringing and such. Didn't even Obama have some hesitancy toward marriage equality and all that before becoming President? Joe Biden likes to say that he was outspoken about the issue before Obama and didn't wait until Obama came on board to support of it for him to support it. Just saying,
it has to do with religious beliefs .