Reparations for a Native American Tribe

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

"Indian Island off the coast of Northern California was the site of a massacre, a place that was contaminated by a shipyard and flush with invasive species.

It’s also the spiritual and physical center of the universe for the small Wiyot tribe, and it will belong to them almost entirely Monday after a city deeds all the land it owns on the island to the tribe.

“It’s a really good example of resilience because Wiyot people never gave up the dream,” tribal administrator Michelle Vassel said. “It’s a really good story about healing and about coming together of community.”

The tribe was decimated in 1860, when scores of elders, women and children were wiped out during a raid by settlers while the tribe’s men were away gathering supplies.

Since then, the now 600-member tribe has been making small strides toward regaining the land it lost.

The tribe sold art and fry bread and took in donations to buy 1.5 acres (0.6 hectares) on the eastern tip of the island for $106,000 in 2000. Years later, the city of Eureka gave the tribe more land.

On Monday, the city will sign over the deed to the largest chunk – more than 200 acres in what was the historic village of Etpidolh. No money was exchanged.

“For our city, it’s the right thing to do, and that’s why we’re doing it,” said Kim Bergel, a councilwoman who was born and raised in the county. “Certainly, it’s been far too long.”

*Skip*"

This terribly polluted island has been restored to health by the work of the tribe, with townspeople helping.

IDC whether you think reparations are a terrible idea. This is clearly the best remedy for this tribe for the horrible injustices visited on them, and it can serve as a model for other broken treaties, etc.

Your thoughts?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Most notable about this story is, as far as I can tell, no lawsuits were filed. This remedy came about due to the hard work and cooperation of people of good will.

Reactions: BitterPill
Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
1860 seems like a long time ago to be handing out reparations.

Somewhere along my line, my great, great, great, great, great grandpa was wronged too. I deserve some land.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Most notable about this story is, as far as I can tell, no lawsuits were filed. This remedy came about due to the hard work and cooperation of people of good will.
It is a good story with a happy ending. Great find.

But sort of to counter-balance some of the back slapping around the event...

...this tiny island (250 acres) had become somewhat of a toxic waste dump. And from the story it appears the Indians did most of the work to clean it up and make the land in question even habitable.

Again. Wonderful outcome, but not sure it would have happened if the island had been expensive, prized, pristine land. (Altruism does have it's limits.)