Republican Primary debates - who do you think did the best?

Sep 2011
I did my best to watch this debate objectively and I will give my opinion on how I think the candidates did. Unfortunately, no matter how much effort we put into being objective, our bias still interferes with objectivity to a certain extent. I will now review the candidates(listed in order of how I thought they did) and give a brief summary to their peformance.

1. Rick Perry. I will be honest about this, I do not like Rick Perry, however; the improvements he made from his previous two debates is something that just can not be ignored. He finally settled in, was relaxed and came across as extremely confident. What I see in Rick Perry is someone who is going to improve more each debate. From his previous 2 debates, I went in with an extreme bias against him, even calling him unpresidential; I have to throw that bias out. Perry got it done tonight, and while I do not like it, he pretty much has the Republican nomination locked up unless he completely screws up, or a major scandal comes his way. The Rick Perry I saw tonigh will defeat Barack Obama.

2. Herman Cain. Cain is my personal favorite(I am white, BTW), he makes the most sense and his accomplishments and success are amazing. I am 20 years old, the only reason I switched from Libertarian to Republican was so I could vote for Cain in the primaries. Of all the candidates running, Cain is the only one I believe who can save our economy and make it strong again.

3. Michele Bachmann. In spite of all the hatred directed at her, she has the confidence and coolness one looks for. Unfortunately for Bachmann, Rick Perry is settling in and relaxing and while I think Bachmann has good intentions and is a good person, she will not beat Perry. While Bachmann will not win in this primary, her name recognition is going to go up and she will be a major name in politics for decades to come.

4. Ron Paul/Rick Santorum - This was a close one here, so I will list it as 4(a) and 4(b)

4(a). Ron Paul - I agree with his politics more than any other candidates, except for the economy, that goes to Herman Cain. Paul is the true constitutionalist, but he just has no chance against someone with a commanding presence like Perry. The only thing I can hope for at this point is, that Ron Paul will change his mind about retiring after his current term. We need in the House for as along as he is breathing.

4(b). Rick Santorum - he is the only that slightly got to Rick Perry. Santorum is well spoken and has great ideas. He will not win the nomination, but he will gain huge name recognition again, and by the time the Republican primaries are over, Santorum will have completely resurrected his political career and should go pretty much unchallenged for a future PA Senate seat.

5. Newt Gingrich. What happened to Newt? In the previous debates, he was the clear winner. Tonight, he looked tired, bored and lacking in enthusiasm.

6. Gary Johnson. He has good ideas, and a strong record, unfortunately he just does not come off as presidential. I am not sure what the future holds for him, but hopefully he has some more political life left in him.

7. Jon Huntsman. I am not sure why he is even with the Republican Party. He is not presidential in any possible way. Maybe if Harry Reid gives him some big money, he can last through a few more debates.

8. Mitt Romney. No other Republican candidate got rattled as easily as Mitt Romney. Perry completely got to Romney, as did some of the moderators. What is sad is, a corpse has more life to it than Romney does. He is too robotic, high strung and easily flustered. Anyone who thinks Romney has a chance against Obama is fooling themself. Mitt Romney winning the Republican nomination would be a guarenteed second term for Barack Obama.

Dec 2010
Virginia
Are you sure you do not like Perry........................just a little bit?

You don't come off as unbiased to me.
Say it ain't so.

Bachmann came off as confident and cool? In what dimension was this so? She got busted in a whopper (HPV response) AND her tax rate response was absolutely nonsensical and internally inconsistent. Nope. She is still the leader of the batshit brigade.

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
1. Rick Perry. I will be honest about this, I do not like Rick Perry, however; the improvements he made from his previous two debates is something that just can not be ignored. He finally settled in, was relaxed and came across as extremely confident. What I see in Rick Perry is someone who is going to improve more each debate. From his previous 2 debates, I went in with an extreme bias against him, even calling him unpresidential; I have to throw that bias out. Perry got it done tonight, and while I do not like it, he pretty much has the Republican nomination locked up unless he completely screws up, or a major scandal comes his way. The Rick Perry I saw tonigh will defeat Barack Obama.
So he's improved on his lying skills.

The Rick Perry I saw tonigh will defeat Barack Obama.
You may have a point, since Obama's lying skills are all worn out.
Idiots always love a new liar. I was that idiot in 08.

Reactions: Cicero
Dec 2010
Virginia
Here is what I saw

Rick Perry. Perry didn't come prepared to discuss anything other than his last flub. He was only saved by the fact that Romney was so horrible on following up on Perry's ridiculous answers. The whole Pakistan question? Come on..."I'll strengthen ties with India and so let them handle it..." Golly Rick, I don't think US troops will be out of Afghanistan when you take office. Earliest projected date is 2014.

Herman Cain. Why is this man still in the race?

Michele Bachmann. I raised the issues pertaining to the leader of the batshit brigade elsewhere. No need to reprise them.

Rick Santorum - Hate gays, hate immigrants always plays well with the republican base. To score a trifecta all he needed to do was mention welfare queens.

Ron Paul Still not getting the air time, still not distinguishing himself from the pack, still the weird uncle in the room.

Newt Gingrich. Unlike the others actually understands policy and governance at the federal level. Every other republican's choice for VP.

Gary Johnson. Who?

Jon Huntsman. He'll never win if he insists on being reasonable.

Mitt Romney. Romney's message was the most consistent and polished. Still can't overcome the legacy of Romneycare (he instituted while governor of the People's Republic of Taxachusetts.)