Republicans demand that everyone in Witness Protection Program appear on national tv!

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Sounds about right :smirk:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Saying that “enough is enough,” congressional Republicans demanded on Monday that the thousands of people in the nation’s witness-protection program be required to appear on national television.​
“What kind of a country protects someone’s identity just because they were instrumental in bringing a criminal to justice?” Representative Jim Jordan, of Ohio, asked. “I don’t want to live in a country like that.”​
Representative Devin Nunes, of California, concurred. “Anonymity is all well and good, but we should be able to look at these people and know their names,” he said.​
At the United States Senate, Lindsey Graham told reporters that “it’s time for people in the witness-protection program to put up or shut up.”​
“I want these people to go on TV and say what they have to say, and then I fully intend not to listen to them,” the senator said.​

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Jordan should know. A Refereee filed a lawsuit against Gym the same day he was put on the impeachment committee. He told Gym about the Doctor, Jordan laughed.

Reactions: BoiseBo
Jun 2007
Wisconsin
Sounds about right :smirk:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Saying that “enough is enough,” congressional Republicans demanded on Monday that the thousands of people in the nation’s witness-protection program be required to appear on national television.​
“What kind of a country protects someone’s identity just because they were instrumental in bringing a criminal to justice?” Representative Jim Jordan, of Ohio, asked. “I don’t want to live in a country like that.”​
Representative Devin Nunes, of California, concurred. “Anonymity is all well and good, but we should be able to look at these people and know their names,” he said.​
At the United States Senate, Lindsey Graham told reporters that “it’s time for people in the witness-protection program to put up or shut up.”​
“I want these people to go on TV and say what they have to say, and then I fully intend not to listen to them,” the senator said.​

I almost believed that this was actually true, based on the constant nutty behaviors that Republicans continually display on a hourly basis. And then I saw Borowitz!

Oct 2019
Earth
Does this relate to the demand that Trump has the right to face his accuser?

That's not the same as witness protection, where the protected witnesses are supposed to survive to show up in court.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Does this relate to the demand that Trump has the right to face his accuser?

That's not the same as witness protection, where the protected witnesses are supposed to survive to show up in court.
First, impeachment is not a criminal proceeding, it is a political decision by the House, conducted according to House rules.

The Senate's process is a little more formalized, as the impeached party is entitled to counsel and to call witnesses in his defense.

The Chief Justice of the United States, however, is ultimately only present as a formality (if it is the president on trial).

Senate rules dictate who can do what, and in what manner, at what time, and the majority has the authority to enforce those rules as they see fit.

As with many things in the Senate, only tradition, and the majority's desire to prepare for when it must eventually be the minority, are truly important.

Second, Witness Security Program testimony is often not required, only a deposition is, to pressure the defendant to plead guilty.

Depositions do not require the witness and the defendant to be in the same room, or for the defendant to personally know who the witness is.

Depending on the rules of the court, defense counsel probably knows generally who it is, but they can be gagged in whatever suitable way is required.

In the relatively rare event where a conspiracy (or similar) trial must go through all the motions and protected witnesses must testify in person,

the witnesses' identity would only be revealed to those who were legally entitled to know it, and their whereabouts and status would remain hidden,

until the moment where the witness would have to appear in court to testify. Even then, they can put them behind a screen, hide their voice, etc.