Republicans Have 4 Convicted Criminals Running For Congress In 2018

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Yea, I know. It's Huffington Post, but it's true.
Don't kill the messenger.

Republicans Have 4 Convicted Criminals Running For Congress In 2018- and three are bragging about it.

When Joe Arpaio, the former Maricopa County sheriff, announced his Senate candidacy on Tuesday, he became the fourth viable Republican 2018 congressional candidate who’s been convicted of a crime. And like two of the other GOP cons running for office, he has cited his criminal record as a partial justification for his candidacy.

Arpaio was convicted of misdemeanor criminal contempt of court in July 2017 for defying a court order requiring him to stop illegally detaining people he suspected of being undocumented immigrants based on their race. President Donald Trump pardoned him one month later.

The other convicted criminals running for office as Republicans are Don Blankenship, the former head of the coal mining company Massey Energy who is running in the Republican primary to challenge Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.); former Rep. Michael Grimm, who is challenging incumbent Rep. Dan Donovan (R-N.Y.) to reclaim the Staten Island congressional seat he once held; and Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.), who is running for re-election.

Reactions: 2 people

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
What's your point? It's not just Republicans that get into trouble. Joe Arpaio was only convicted of a misdemeanor. Should we actually dig into each representatives background looking for some misdemeanors?

Anthony Weiner (D-NY) convicted in 2017
Corrine Brown (D-FL) convicted in 2017
Chaka Fattah (D-PA) convicted in 2016
Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL) convicted in 2013
Laura Richardson (D-CA) convicted in 2012

Reactions: 1 person

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I agree. Convicted criminals should NOT have the right vote, own guns, or run for office. Once convicted, you must remain a criminal. Well said
By convicted criminals, do you mean misdemeanants, felons, or both? The funny thing about your position is that the left want convicted felons to be able to vote. We even had a thread about it here.

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2017
south area
By convicted criminals, do you mean misdemeanants, felons, or both? The funny thing about your position is that the left want convicted felons to be able to vote. We even had a thread about it here.
Oh I was kidding. I was showing their hypocrisy. Felons can vote in their mind (because they vote blue obviously) but they cannot RUN for office in their minds.

Typical

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
I agree. Convicted criminals should NOT have the right vote, own guns, or run for office. Once convicted, you must remain a criminal. Well said
Oh I was kidding. I was showing their hypocrisy. Felons can vote in their mind (because they vote blue obviously) but they cannot RUN for office in their minds.

Typical
The GOP is hell bent about criminals losing voting rights, no?
What was that about hypocrisy again?

Last edited:
May 2006
I think child molesters and drug dealers and gangsters should be allowed to run for office.

Republicans would vote for them if they paid lip service to their fake agenda, like Rush Limbaugh does. Cause they're like little children.

Oct 2017
south area
The GOP is hell bent about criminals losing rights, no?
What was that about hypocrisy again?
How so? The GOP as this article shows is running felons. The DNC should be happy. They want felons to have all the rights as citizens. So what's the problem?