Ricky Martin says he wishes his kids were gay

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
By Editors

“I wish I could come out again because it just felt amazing. And then after that, people coming to me and saying thank you so much for coming out. Because of you, I understand my father better. I understand my sister better. So it’s an important thing to do."
"I don’t know, my kids are too young, but I wish they were gay. It is a very special thing. The sensitivity, the way I see now, that I don’t have to hide in any way shape or form. I see colors. And then you see the rainbow. I understand why the symbol is the rainbow. It’s just real. Everything is tangible. It makes me a stronger person.”

====================================================

Ricky's two kids are beautiful but I'm not so sure that is what he should be wishing on them given that Gay orientation has many facets and is quite difficult in many areas. Of course, wishing someone was Gay is just not realistic since they will not be unless they were born that way.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
I take his point, but he may as well be wishing they try LSD. The end results seem to be the same.
O.K. - that's funny.

More power to Ricky. It's his opinion and he's entitle to it. I just think it must be more difficult growing up gay, but perhaps that is changing?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Wasn't he already famous when he came out?

Probably not the usual experience for someone coming out.

Besides, his kids could come out in other ways.

"Dad. Other dad. I have an announcement. I'm a Republican."

*thud*

*thud*

"Hey, you guys okay?"

Jul 2015
Florida
I don't WISH being gay on anyone. His children will be protected by money and his fame. His kids are in rarified air. 99.9% of kids won't be. The world must be safe for them. They can't buy their way out of contempt and potential danger.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Wasn't he already famous when he came out?

Probably not the usual experience for someone coming out.

Besides, his kids could come out in other ways.

"Dad. Other dad. I have an announcement. I'm a Republican."

*thud*

*thud*

"Hey, you guys okay?"
Yes, he was already famous and will continue to be. But really, I don't think his kids will grow up to be Republican if they have a truly open mind and care about others the way Democrats do.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
By Editors

====================================================

Ricky's two kids are beautiful but I'm not so sure that is what he should be wishing on them given that Gay orientation has many facets and is quite difficult in many areas. Of course, wishing someone was Gay is just not realistic since they will not be unless they were born that way.

Mainly, it just doesn't make any sense. He's talking about how great it was to finally 'be himself' as opposed to hiding the way he had done before, and the suffering that went along with that. So he's either wishing suffering upon them so they can later feel the sweet release of it, or they'd never suffer in today's climate, in which case there would be no sweet release of something that never was.........just weird.