Right to education vs. cultural preservation

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Ayuu Kyhata School in Yakutsk, republic of Sakha-Yakutia in Northern Siberia

This is a unique school, opened very recently, just only in December, in fact; it is for children from the Sakha indigenous ethnic group in Yakutia, with a focus on their traditional culture.

Alongside regular subjects, like math and such, it has classes where the kids explore their culture and heritage, with storytellers and shamans and such

and by putting on plays based on their history

It all started as a private project by a group of indigenous Sakha parents determined to preserve their children's traditional heritage. They ran own weekend institution, on a volunteer basis; until, finally, recently, securing support from the Ministry of Education, who funded and set up this whole new school for them.

Well, recently, another school in the same neighborhood, a regular public school where majority of kids are from white Slavic families, was closed down, due to the building being so old and under-maintained, it was deemed no longer safe to have pupils in there (a common issue with these remote provincial towns... Not just schools, hospitals, infrastructure in general, all run down to hell...)

And the (again mostly Slavic, ethnic Russian) parents from that school now demand to enroll their kids to the nearby Ayuu Kyhata. Where the indigenous parents are protesting that, at the very least, an influx of kids who speak only Russian will destroy the unique environment they had created for their kids at this school, where they can practice communicating in their own native language, pretty much impossible anywhere else in the republic anymore, aside from remote rural native settlements and nomad camps; in the urban areas, basically everyone just speaks Russian now.

FWIW, here, in a puppetry/storytelling class, I see a girl, at right, who does NOT look all that indigenous to me

could be mixed race, of course; plenty of intermarriage between Slavs and natives over there, in Siberia (yet another thing the various native nationalists blame for destroying them as distinct nations lol Not that the Slavic far right are big fans of mixing blood with non-whites either... hehe Fortunately, even inm Russia, most people marry those they love and ignore the crazes, on all sides...)

But, point is, yeah, the school administration, thus far, reportedly has remained adamant: they are an "ethnic" school, and cannot and will not admit non-Sakha kids: Якутская школа отказалась принимать русскоязычных детей

Gonna be quite a brouhaha over there. Both sets of parents gonna fight for what they see as the right of their children to education...

Who do you guys think is correct here? I can't make up my mind... Yeah, all kids deserve to be able to go to school. But should some pay the price by, potentially, losing their language and culture in the process?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Who do you guys think is correct here? I can't make up my mind... Yeah, all kids deserve to be able to go to school. But should some pay the price by, potentially, losing their language and culture in the process?
Why not just fix the other school, or build a new one, and continue having two schools? That would solve the whole problem.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Why not just fix the other school, or build a new one, and continue having two schools? That would solve the whole problem.
A. Building takes time and money.

which

B. Moscow has happily delegated the regions (virtually everything to do with education, the funding and management; all has been essentially handed down to the regional governments)

who

C. are mostly corrupt and incompetent scumbags who make a total mess of it all, usually...

And Yakutia is no exception here... I am sure they are supposed to have some sort of an emergency infrastructure fund for this kind of crap. Most regions are SUPPOSED to, I believe.

Problem is, crooked officials abuse the hell out of such funds, siphoning money from them instead to build themselves fancy mansions and such. And then, when the money is actually needed, there is never enough available... :mad:

Russia...