RIP Bart Starr

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
85 years old.

Packers legend Bart Starr dies at 85

Bart Starr, the first quarterback in history to win five National Football League championships and hero of the most memorable game in the storied history of the Green Bay Packers, died today in Birmingham, Ala. He had been in failing health since suffering a serious stroke in 2014.

Starr, 85, played for the Packers from 1956 to 1971, and was beloved by fans of not only his generation, but also succeeding ones. Along with being a Pro Football Hall of Famer and among a small pantheon of Packers’ all-time greats, he was the franchise’s nonpareil role model in the eyes of many.

Maybe the most popular player in Packers history, Starr will be eulogized for being a consummate professional, a Good Samaritan and an exemplary role model.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
I'm trying to pawn off telling dad on my sister. They're the football fans. I'm just a fair weather fan. But I do have an awareness of who is who, and when a legend passes.

Jul 2014
midwest
MVP of the first two Super Bowls, before the SB's were the big deal they are now.

Not considered a "great" QB, but a very good one.

He did not have to be great, just manage the game for his great teams.

Won 5 NFL Championships, trailing only Tom Brady.

Was a punter in college as well as QB, he finished second in the nation in punting average one year.

May 2019
midwest
Being a MN Viking fan I almost met him once. It was back in the mid-60s or so and the Packers were staying @ the Thunderbird Motel across from Met Stadium in Bloomington. Mr. Starr was sitting in a chair in just off the lobby. I was too shy to even approach him. I don't remember the score of the game the next day BUT I still remember this. RIP.
:cool: