RIP Ginger Baker

Jun 2007
Wisconsin
The incendiary former Cream drummer, renowned for his epochal talent behind the kit – as well has his fiery personality – has died at the age of 80

Ginger Baker, 1939-2019 – the NME obituary

Edit:

From the article:

Last year, Ginger Baker‘s son, Kofi, a percussionist, was asked if he felt under pressure to live up to his father’s reputation as the rock’n’roll world’s first superstar drummer. Kofi replied: “My dad is such an asshole that it’s not like I was stressed about making him proud of anything…” In the same interview, he was asked if his father had any redeeming qualities. Kofi laughed sadly and softly, then replied: “No. But he’s a great drummer”.
That Ginger Baker was a great drummer is a statement beyond reproach – first with Alexis Korners’ blues collective, Blues Incorporated (replacing future Rolling Stone Charlie Watts), then with the Graham Bond Organization. He backed Eric Clapton and arch frenemy Jack Bruce in the seismically influential Cream. Then there was the supergroup Blind Faith. The list goes on: his own band, Ginger Baker’s Air Force; Hawkwind; Public Image Ltd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babba and Jets

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
Loved Cream. RIP Jack Bruce and now Ginger Baker.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
The incendiary former Cream drummer, renowned for his epochal talent behind the kit – as well has his fiery personality – has died at the age of 80

Ginger Baker, 1939-2019 – the NME obituary

Edit:

From the article:

Last year, Ginger Baker‘s son, Kofi, a percussionist, was asked if he felt under pressure to live up to his father’s reputation as the rock’n’roll world’s first superstar drummer. Kofi replied: “My dad is such an asshole that it’s not like I was stressed about making him proud of anything…” In the same interview, he was asked if his father had any redeeming qualities. Kofi laughed sadly and softly, then replied: “No. But he’s a great drummer”.
That Ginger Baker was a great drummer is a statement beyond reproach – first with Alexis Korners’ blues collective, Blues Incorporated (replacing future Rolling Stone Charlie Watts), then with the Graham Bond Organization. He backed Eric Clapton and arch frenemy Jack Bruce in the seismically influential Cream. Then there was the supergroup Blind Faith. The list goes on: his own band, Ginger Baker’s Air Force; Hawkwind; Public Image Ltd.
Great band. 80 is pretty damn good for a 60s rock star.

Reactions: Babba