RIP Sci-fi author Gene Wolfe

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I had started reading Shadow of the Torturer back in high school (it was only a couple years old, then), but never finished it.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Are you going to try again, or read The Book of the New Sun?
Possibly, but I doubt it. I'm having trouble spending much time reading the stuff I have. I don't have a copy, so it's not like I can put it in my lineup without buying it first.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I read those. I will certainly NOT agree with what it says on the covers: "The Best Sci Fi Novel of the Last Century". No. Not even close. That would be either Frank Herbert's Dune (series) or Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels.

I would call the author eccentric rather than brilliant. His novels were offbeat rather than profound. They are NOT the books I would recommend if someone was asking for a good introduction to science fiction, I can tell you that.

Mar 2019
California
I read those. I will certainly NOT agree with what it says on the covers: "The Best Sci Fi Novel of the Last Century". No. Not even close. That would be either Frank Herbert's Dune (series) or Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels.

I would call the author eccentric rather than brilliant. His novels were offbeat rather than profound. They are NOT the books I would recommend if someone was asking for a good introduction to science fiction, I can tell you that.
Not even close. Heinlein's Series "The Past Through Tomorrow".

Jan 2016
Colorado
Although Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" was terrific. So was Asimov's "I,Robot".
Asimov's 'I, Robot' is actually CONNECTED to his 'Foundation' novels, if you read all of his intervening novels, that fill out his whole timeline of galactic colonization. Maybe I'll cover it all tomorrow, too tired to go into it all tonight.

I love 'The Martian Chronicles' for its lyrical beauty, Bradbury was an excellent writer, not in the usual mold of sci-fi writers.

I have never been a big Heinlein fan. Many of his novels seem more like political novels than science fiction to me. Sorry. Shrug.

Mar 2019
California
Asimov's 'I, Robot' is actually CONNECTED to his 'Foundation' novels, if you read all of his intervening novels, that fill out his whole timeline of galactic colonization. Maybe I'll cover it all tomorrow, too tired to go into it all tonight.

I love 'The Martian Chronicles' for its lyrical beauty, Bradbury was an excellent writer, not in the usual mold of sci-fi writers.

I have never been a big Heinlein fan. Many of his novels seem more like political novels than science fiction to me. Sorry. Shrug.
I did read the Foundation Series.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Asimov's 'I, Robot' is actually CONNECTED to his 'Foundation' novels, if you read all of his intervening novels, that fill out his whole timeline of galactic colonization.
Absolutely. Asimov's future history was every bit as interesting as Heinlein's. Maybe better, since I kept a lot of my Asmov books but traded in my Heinleins.
Some are; most are not. The big novels tended to have a lot of political stuff in them. The smaller stuff, not so much (unless relevant to the story).