Robert E. Lee Day

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Like Robert E. Lee?
No I am referring to the liberal democrats - as my post clearly stated.

Robert E. Lee is dead. And has been for well over a century. So of course I am not referring to him. He isn't commenting about anything in this thread - because he is dead.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
I assumed that you knew my original comment about it was tongue-in-cheek. It's a trope dreamed up by a local radio personality. BUT...there are a lot of guys with those names who get into "provincial" trouble.

Some days I detect sarcasm just fine other days......

Jul 2013
On a happy trail

Robert E. Lee is dead. And has been for well over a century. So of course I am not referring to him. He isn't commenting about anything in this thread - because he is dead.
But REL was a liberal because he supposedly released his slaves. IE was a progressive.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Obsession with proper Whiteness, Dutch. There was a famous German who succumbed to that disease.
Racism, it isn't just practiced by white folk there, panzer girl. Never was, never will be.

The Dartmouth Review » Eyes Wide Open at the Protest

The Protest…

Black-clad protesters gathered in front of Dartmouth Hall, forming a crowd roughly one hundred fifty strong. Ostensibly there to denounce the removal of shirts from a display in Collis, the Black Lives Matter collective began to sing songs and chant their eponymous catchphrase. Not content to merely demonstrate there for the night, the band descended from their high-water mark to march into Baker-Berry Library.

“F*** you, you filthy white f***s!” “F*** you and your comfort!” “F*** you, you racist s***!”

These shouted epithets were the first indication that many students had of the coming storm. The sign-wielding, obscenity-shouting protesters proceeded through the usually quiet backwaters of the library. They surged first through first-floor Berry, then up the stairs to the normally undisturbed floors of the building, before coming back down to the ground floor of Novack.

Throngs of protesters converged around fellow students who had not joined in their long march. They confronted students who bore “symbols of oppression”: “gangster hats” and Beats-brand headphones. The flood of demonstrators self-consciously overstepped every boundary, opening the doors of study spaces with students reviewing for exams. Those who tried to close their doors were harassed further. One student abandoned the study room and ran out of the library. The protesters followed her out of the library, shouting obscenities the whole way.....

Nov 2014
North Carolina
I'm happy that REL released the slaves. Probably wanted to avoid paying the slave taxes.

Tax History Project -- Slave Tax as Sin Tax -- 18th and 19th Century Perspectives
I doubt it. Robert E. Lee could have afforded to keep the slaves if he had wanted them. Grant however did own slaves - and was a lot poorer than Robert E. Lee. So your argument is pretty weak and just seems like another desperate attempt to demonize Lee to me - which is basically all this shit thread is.

Interesting facts about Robert E. Lee. He actually opposed secession and warned the southern states against it - telling them they would regret it. Lee never once referred to the North as his enemy. It was Lee who convinced Jefferson Davis to offer the slaves freedom if they would fight for the confederacy.

Lee was an honorable and decent man. He was simply loyal to his State - which back then was like someone's country. He did not fight for slavery. He fought for Virginia and her independence. And let's not forget that many of the northern States were practicing slavery both during and shortly after the Civil War.

So it's time the liberal democrats stopped trying to demonize what was a good man. The amount of ignorance being barfed on this thread is painful to the eyes it is so stupid.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
But REL was a liberal because he supposedly released his slaves. IE was a progressive.
My post was referring to the modern day liberal democrats - who are constantly trying to bring up the confederacy in some half-ass attempt to marginalize southerners with white skin. It gets old.

It had nothing to do with trying to define Lee politically.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
<-- "Meme Boy"

You might not be aware though that he has a day celebrating him. It's right in the title of the thread. Hard not to bring his name up when he is the subject.

Odd discussion technique, Jeremy.