Robert Gates controversial new book

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is releasing his memoirs in a new controversial book where he says that Pres Obama is "intellectual" but doesn't trust the military leaders. Going to be a big best seller. Don't really like the fact that he is criticizing a sitting president. Even GW Bush had the decency not to do this. Thoughts?

"The president doesn’t trust his commander, can’t stand Karzai, doesn’t believe in his own strategy and doesn’t consider the war to be his,” Mr. Gates wrote. “For him, it’s all about getting out.”

"Mr. Gates calls Mr. Biden “a man of integrity,” but questions his judgment. “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades,” Mr. Gates writes. He has high praise for Hillary Rodham Clinton, who served as secretary of state when he was at the Pentagon and was a frequent ally on national security issues.

But Mr. Gates does say that, in defending her support for the Afghan surge, she confided that her opposition to Mr. Bush’s Iraq surge when she was in the Senate and a presidential candidate “had been political,” since she was facing Mr. Obama, then an antiwar senator, in the Iowa primary. In the same conversation, Mr. Obama “conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political,” Mr. Gates recalls. “To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

Mr. Gates discloses that he almost quit in September 2009 after a dispute-filled meeting to assess the way ahead in Afghanistan, including the number of troops that were needed. “I was deeply uneasy with the Obama White House’s lack of appreciation — from the top down — of the uncertainties and unpredictability of war,” he recalls. “I came closer to resigning that day than at any other time in my tenure.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/world/asia/obama-lost-faith-in-his-afghan-strategy-memoir-asserts.html?hpw&rref=politics&_r=0

Reactions: 2 people
Nov 2010
Kennedy didn't trust the military leaders either, they would of driven the world into WWIII if they had the choice. Nobody should, they want war and nothing else. They drive the military industrial complex.

Based on the snippets of the article, its not really a surprise, its not his war. He probably would not be in iraq had he been president. WE should get the hell out, its doing absolutely nothing unless the people can govern themselves, and I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

I hardly feel like what was given there really is any sort of revelation. Maybe the book has more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is releasing his memoirs in a new controversial book where he says that Pres Obama is "intellectual" but doesn't trust the military leaders. Going to be a big best seller. Don't really like the fact that he is criticizing a sitting president. Even GW Bush had the decency not to do this. Thoughts?

"The president doesn’t trust his commander, can’t stand Karzai, doesn’t believe in his own strategy and doesn’t consider the war to be his,” Mr. Gates wrote. “For him, it’s all about getting out.”

"Mr. Gates calls Mr. Biden “a man of integrity,” but questions his judgment. “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades,” Mr. Gates writes. He has high praise for Hillary Rodham Clinton, who served as secretary of state when he was at the Pentagon and was a frequent ally on national security issues.

But Mr. Gates does say that, in defending her support for the Afghan surge, she confided that her opposition to Mr. Bush’s Iraq surge when she was in the Senate and a presidential candidate “had been political,” since she was facing Mr. Obama, then an antiwar senator, in the Iowa primary. In the same conversation, Mr. Obama “conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political,” Mr. Gates recalls. “To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

Mr. Gates discloses that he almost quit in September 2009 after a dispute-filled meeting to assess the way ahead in Afghanistan, including the number of troops that were needed. “I was deeply uneasy with the Obama White House’s lack of appreciation — from the top down — of the uncertainties and unpredictability of war,” he recalls. “I came closer to resigning that day than at any other time in my tenure.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/world/asia/obama-lost-faith-in-his-afghan-strategy-memoir-asserts.html?hpw&rref=politics&_r=0

Do like/respect Gates. Always have. Suspect we (the public) need to be cautious about making judgements on the book based on snippets and quotes that may be out of context. Distortions are popular among columnist/bloggers trying to push an agenda.

My guess is that the book will an interesting/entertaining read. With some good insights across multiple administrations.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2011
Tennessee
no one should be surprised about gates' revelations concerning obama and the lack of respect for the military displayed by the president.

------

According to Gates, President Obama began the meeting by blasting military leaders for “popping off to the press,” saying he would not tolerate any delay of the start of the Afghan withdrawal. Obama then made a veiled threat to the military leadership, Gates writes, concluding, “‘If I believe I am being gamed…’ and left the sentence hanging there with the clear implication the consequences would be dire.”

Gates continues to say he felt “pretty upset” with Obama’s comments, feeling that “implicitly accusing” Petraeus and others “of gaming him in front of thirty people in the Situation Room was inappropriate, not to mention highly disrespectful of Petraeus. As I sat there, I thought: the president doesn’t trust his commander, can’t stand [Afghanistan President Hamid] Karzai, doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.”

RealClearDefense - Robert Gates' Indictment of Obama's White House

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I agree that we have wasted thousands of lives and billions of dollars in Afghanistan and I'm disappointed that Obama didn't get us out long ago. I haven't understood the point of being there since Tora Bora.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
compromising with republicans is a fool's errand. they will stab you in the back at the first opportunity. this is a lesson obama will plainly never learn.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Do like/respect Gates. Always have. Suspect we (the public) need to be cautious about making judgements on the book based on snippets and quotes that may be out of context. Distortions are popular among columnist/bloggers trying to push an agenda.

My guess is that the book will an interesting/entertaining read. With some good insights across multiple administrations.
From the different articles I have read,Gates does not spare his mistakes,either. Obama was right not to trust His military leader! or the president of Afghanistan. Both have clay feet.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
no one should be surprised about gates' revelations concerning obama and the lack of respect for the military displayed by the president.

------

According to Gates, President Obama began the meeting by blasting military leaders for “popping off to the press,” saying he would not tolerate any delay of the start of the Afghan withdrawal. Obama then made a veiled threat to the military leadership, Gates writes, concluding, “‘If I believe I am being gamed…’ and left the sentence hanging there with the clear implication the consequences would be dire.”

Gates continues to say he felt “pretty upset” with Obama’s comments, feeling that “implicitly accusing” Petraeus and others “of gaming him in front of thirty people in the Situation Room was inappropriate, not to mention highly disrespectful of Petraeus. As I sat there, I thought: the president doesn’t trust his commander, can’t stand [Afghanistan President Hamid] Karzai, doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.”

RealClearDefense - Robert Gates' Indictment of Obama's White House
Obama had good reason not to trust both! Good for him!