Ron Paul criticizes Obama for U.S. role in killing of Awlaki

Aug 2011
Ron Paul criticizes Obama for U.S. role in killing of Awlaki - latimes.com

"No, I don't think that's a good way to deal with our problems,” Paul said in a videotape of the questioning by reporters. Awlaki “was never tried or charged for any crimes. No one knows if he killed anybody. We know he might have been associated with the ‘underwear bomber.’ But if the American people accept this blindly and casually that we now have an accepted practice of the president assassinating people who he thinks are bad guys. I think it's sad.”

The government assassinating its own citizens without due process of the law.

Scary stuff. Even scarier that every politician is praising it too.

Reactions: Inkslinger
Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
This POS just happened to be an American citizen but he was actively an enemy combatant, on the field of battle trying to kill Americans.

I'm relieved he is dead.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
This POS just happened to be an American citizen but he was actively an enemy combatant, on the field of battle trying to kill Americans.

I'm relieved he is dead.
That's the thing, he wasn't on a battlefield.

I'm fully in favor of this action, but NOT the judicial rulings used to justify it. John Bates stated that the judiciary has no authority to review such actions. (!)

Aug 2011

I'm relieved he is dead.
extrajudicial killing without due process of the law, he was killed by a drone, not in the battlefield.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
extrajudicial killing without due process of the law, he was killed by a drone, not in the battlefield.

Don't need a court order to kill an enemy target.

btw, there's already a thread on this. Somewhere. :p (Actually a couple threads, one where al-Awlaki was killed, and one where Ron Paul objects)

Aug 2011
Don't need a court order to kill an enemy target.

btw, there's already a thread on this. Somewhere. :p (Actually a couple threads, one where al-Awlaki was killed, and one where Ron Paul objects)
Couldn't find them... thanks librarian lol.

Enemy target. Define that please when said enemy target is not engaged in battle at the time of death. He was killed by an unmanned drone..

Imagine if dissenters were dubbed "enemy targets". U.S. citizens for that matter?

When will we have drones all of a sudden patrolling the states?

Reactions: anonymous

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Couldn't find them... thanks librarian lol.

Enemy target. Define that please when said enemy target is not engaged in battle at the time of death. He was killed by an unmanned drone..

Imagine if dissenters were dubbed "enemy targets". U.S. citizens for that matter?

When will we have drones all of a sudden patrolling the states?
LOL :p

There's never been a requirement that once a target leaves the battlefield they're 'home free'.

Reactions: One
Jul 2011
Indiana
While it may be good that he is dead, I have to agree that the idea of the US killing US citizens abroad without trial is very, very bad for our nation as an accepted practice. What if he decides he doesn't like rednecks with guns?:lemo:

Reactions: Roshi and anonymous
Aug 2011
"But Judge John Bates threw the case out, ruling that federal courts were in no position to evaluate whether someone was a terrorist whose activities threatened national security and against whom deadly force could be justified."
- I strongly disagree

"The government's authority to use lethal force against its own citizens should be limited to circumstances in which the threat to life is concrete, specific and imminent," Jaffer said. "It is a mistake to invest the president, any president, with the unreviewable power to kill any American whom he deems to present a threat to the country."
- I strongly agree with the bolded part, very dangerous power that is.