Russia’s coming attack on Canada

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state

Moscow has been waging an increasingly daring clandestine war against western democracies. Under the direction of President Vladmir Putin, Russia is targeting most of the major members of the western alliance. In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned of Russian attempts at cyber attacks. In France, Moscow has funded right-wing populist Marine Le Pen and is alleged to be spreading false propaganda about her opponents. There are now reports from British parliamentarians that Russia may have meddled with the Brexit campaign. And, of course, Putin’s interference in the U.S. Presidential election has lit a tire fire in Washington that may bring down the Trump administration, and at the very least has left America’s political institutions reeling, and its alliances weakened.
In the modern era of the information age, cyber warfare has become a powerful weapon that Russia has already used against several nations. Is Canada next?

Reactions: 2 people

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

In the modern era of the information age, cyber warfare has become a powerful weapon that Russia has already used against several nations. Is Canada next?
Canada is, one mus admit, a relatively minor player in the world today. I don't think we are that important, whether in NATO or any other Western institutions, to warrant such close attention from the Kremlin... There is the geography, of course, Canada does take up like half of North America and basically lies between Russia and US. But, still... I suppose it could be as a retaliation for getting involved in Ukraine (Canadian troops have been training their forces)...

RNG

Former Staff
Jan 2015
Left coast
Canada is, one mus admit, a relatively minor player in the world today. I don't think we are that important, whether in NATO or any other Western institutions, to warrant such close attention from the Kremlin... There is the geography, of course, Canada does take up like half of North America and basically lies between Russia and US. But, still... I suppose it could be as a retaliation for getting involved in Ukraine (Canadian troops have been training their forces)...
Trudeau has been quite outspoken in his criticism of Russia/Putin. I suspect, though he has more self control, Putin too is a bit of an egomaniac.

Reactions: 1 person

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Trudeau has been quite outspoken in his criticism of Russia/Putin. I suspect, though he has more self control, Putin too is a bit of an egomaniac.
I suppose... But even he is not SUCH an egomaniac as to fuck with another country just because their leader said something about him that he didn't like. At least, I don't believe so...

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I suppose... But even he is not SUCH an egomaniac as to fuck with another country just because their leader said something about him that he didn't like. At least, I don't believe so...
I think they might be referring to your election next year. If they try to interfere to get Trudeau out. Some felt they were meddling when they said that Shark Tank guy was running but then he dropped out. I dont know who is running yet or what chance they might have. I know I just read where Mexico might elect a "Trump like" guy down there.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Canada’s in a funny place.

We do actually punch above weight, and frequently, against countries we oppose. Russia in particular. Enough to infuriate them and warrant some revenge.

But we have very little, or even none, of that respect amongst our allies.

The Russian Olympic doping scandal was overwhelmingly uncovered and investigated, and concluded, by Canadians. And the Canadian government subsidized them.

Russia knows that very well. But I bet you couldnt find an American or Brit or Aussie who knows that.

If they undermined our Democracy no one else would notice. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Geography no doubt plays a major role. Rivalry over the waters of the Arctic Ocean is a big factor in why Russia would want to interfere with Canada.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Canada’s in a funny place.

We do actually punch above weight, and frequently, against countries we oppose. Russia in particular. Enough to infuriate them and warrant some revenge.

But we have very little, or even none, of that respect amongst our allies.

The Russian Olympic doping scandal was overwhelmingly uncovered and investigated, and concluded, by Canadians. And the Canadian government subsidized them.

Russia knows that very well. But I bet you couldnt find an American or Brit or Aussie who knows that.

If they undermined our Democracy no one else would notice. Kinda defeats the purpose.
To be honest, the doping scandal was a positive in some ways over there, at least, for some people, for some athletes. Instead of feeling shame or whatever, majority of Russians, convinced by state propaganda that it is all a ploy by the evil West, rallied around them like never before. They had fan support unprecedented since Soviet times, especially the hockey team. When they won the Gold, and sang the anthem, in defiance of the IOC and such, with Russians in the audience waving the flags above them

that was probably the second greatest moment for Russians in modern history, after only March 18th, 2014, when Putin signed Crimea back into the Federation

;)

Many Russians, actually, THANK McLaren and Canada for helping set this up for them lol Some have even told me as much...

Geography no doubt plays a major role. Rivalry over the waters of the Arctic Ocean is a big factor in why Russia would want to interfere with Canada.
Now that I can see. The Russians know there is a lot of oil and natural gas under the ice up there, they already get a lot of theirs from there

They are very much focusing on the Far North, building huge new nuclear icebreakers

They are already the only nation with a fleet of nuclear icebreakers, actually

Even in the US, your Coast Guard only has a smaller, much less powerful non-nuclear one.

So, they got the advantage there...

They have also created special military units trained for warfare in that environment

So, yeah, they are prepared to defend their interests there.

I don't think there will be actual conflict over that either though, at least, I hope not...